From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS 3726 Episcopal hospital in Nablus occupied by Israeli

From "Anglican Communion News Service" <acnslist@anglicancommunion.org>
Date Sat, 3 Jan 2004 10:11:00 -0000

ACNS 3726     |     MIDDLE EAST     |	  3 JANUARY 2004

Episcopal hospital in Nablus occupied by Israeli Troops

by Jim Rosenthal in London

In a phone conversation this New Year's Eve with the Anglican Bishop of
Jerusalem, the Rt Revd Riah Abu el Assal, ACNS learned that the Episcopal
Church's hospital has been occupied by Israeli soldiers.

"I am in deep shock and dismay at this news from our priest in Nablus," said
Bishop Riah. "The parish priest and the hospital administrator of St Like's
have been denied access to the building and the priest was warned he would
be shot if such an attempt were made".

At the time of this report we do not have details as to the number of
patients inside the building. Bishop Riah said there was "real panic" at the
situation and he was deeply concerned for the patients, staff and the local
community.

The Secretary General of the Anglican Communion, the Revd Canon John L.
Peterson, expressed his concern at the news and said he hoped Anglicans
everywhere would keep Christians in the Holy Land in their prayers,
especially during this Christmas season.