From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS3732 Peterborough Cathedral's Canon Pastor, Stephen

From "Anglican Communion News Service" <acnslist@anglicancommunion.org>
Date Tue, 6 Jan 2004 13:26:52 -0000

ACNS 3732     |     ENGLAND	|     6 JANUARY 2004

Peterborough Cathedral's Canon Pastor, Stephen Cottrell, to be next Bishop of
Reading

It has been announced from Downing Street at 11.00 am today that the Queen
has approved the nomination of the Revd Canon Stephen Cottrell as the next
Bishop of Reading.

Canon Cottrell is currently canon Pastor of Peterborough Cathedral and well
known nationally as an author and speaker on spirituality and the mission of
the church. He has been in Peterborough since 2001, and has responsibility
for the pastoral care and faith development of the congregation, and the
Cathedral's links with the local community.

Speaking of his appointment, which he will take up in the spring, Canon
Cottrell has said: "I'm honoured that the Church has put such trust in me, to
ask me to be a bishop. I'm sad to be leaving Peterborough after only three
years, which I had never imagined would happen so quickly.

"I have learned a great deal from my time here and will carry that with me
into the new post. The greatest joy of my ministry in Peterborough has been
trying to make the Cathedral a place of welcome for all the people of this
city and diocese. I hope and believe that work will continue."

He adds, "I believe my work in mission and evangelism has prepared me well
for the challenges facing the church in this new century. I hope and pray
that my love for and understanding of the different traditions of the Church
of England will enable me to be a focus for unity in the Reading Episcopal
area."

The Bishop of Peterborough, the Rt Revd Ian Cundy, says "I am delighted for
Stephen and believe that he is eminently suitable to be a bishop. His work in
the Cathedral and diocese has been greatly appreciated and I wish him well
for his new calling."

And the Dean of Peterborough, the Very Revd Michael Bunker, says, "I am
confident that Stephen will rise to this fresh challenge with great energy,
wisdom and grace. We shall greatly miss him here."