From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

'Day 1' Radio Program Features Atlanta ELCA Pastor

From NEWS@ELCA.ORG
Date Wed, 7 Jan 2004 16:13:25 -0600

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

January 7, 2004

'Day 1' Radio Program Features Atlanta ELCA Pastor
04-003-NR*/JB

     CHICAGO (ELCA) --	 The Rev. Robert F. Sims, senior pastor
of Lutheran Church of the Redeemer, Atlanta, is the featured
speaker Jan. 18 and Feb. 22 on "Day 1," the award-winning radio
program.
     Day 1 is broadcast on more than 150 stations nationwide, on
the American Forces Network to U.S. service men and women around
the world, and at http://www.day1.net on Day 1's Web site.
     An ordained pastor of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in
America (ELCA) and a graduate of Lutheran Theological Southern
Seminary, Columbia, S.C., Sims has served ELCA congregations in
South Carolina and Virginia. He has been recognized for his
special skills and gifts in growing and developing congregations,
and is a member of the Wittenberg Center for Global Ethics,
Wittenberg, Germany.
     In his Jan. 18 sermon, Sims says, "We are called by God to
be his living people, but somehow we must learn to give some sign
of life, some evidence to the world and to ourselves that we are
alive, that the power of God is active, alive, moving and
stirring within us."
     The Day 1 programs include a sermon and brief interviews
with Sims.  A television version of Day 1 is also broadcast on
the Hallmark Channel's "America at Worship" on Sunday mornings.
     Formerly known as "The Protestant Hour," Day 1 has been
broadcast every week for more than 58 years, winning numerous
awards in the process, including the George Foster Peabody Award
and the 2003 Communicator Award for excellence in inspirational
radio.
     It is produced cooperatively by the ELCA, Episcopal Media
Center, United Methodist Church, Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) and
United Church of Christ.
-- -- --
     A list of radio station that broadcast Day1 can be found at
http://www.day1.net on the Web.

* Nan Ross is publicist for Day 1.

For information contact:
http://www.elca.org/news