From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: Hamblin to Resign as West Virginia Executive Minister

From "SCHRAMM, Richard" <Richard.Schramm@abc-usa.org>
Date Thu, 8 Jan 2004 13:23:58 -0500

American Baptist News Service (Valley Forge, Pa. 1/8/04)--The Rev. Dr. Lloyd
D. Hamblin, executive minister of the West Virginia Baptist Convention since
January 1993, has announced his resignation, effective April 3, 2004.

Hamblin, who submitted his resignation to the region's Executive Board in a
letter dated Jan. 2, will become executive pastor of South Parkersburg
Baptist Church in West Virginia.

"I am filled with superb memories of the way God has worked in our midst,"
he said. "I am thankful, beyond my ability to find the proper words to
express my thankfulness, for the Godly colleagues who make up the staff of
the Convention. I am confident the future of the Convention is bright and
that incredible things will continue to take place."

Hamblin has held numerous responsibilities on the regional and national
levels of American Baptist Churches USA, including membership in the General
Board Executive Committee, General Executive Council and Regional Executive
Ministers Council, where he also has served as president.

Prior to his appointment as executive minister Hamblin served the region as
minister of business and finance and associate executive minister.
Previously he held pastorates in West Virginia at Beverly Hills Baptist
Church in Huntington and Bethel Baptist Church in Parkersburg.

"Dr. Hamblin has been an exemplary leader in American Baptist life," said
the Rev. Dr. A. Roy Medley, general secretary of American Baptist Churches
USA.  "Having served with Lloyd for many years as a fellow regional
executive minister, I have the profoundest respect and warmest regard for
him as a leader and a friend.  Lloyd's statesman-like manner, his absolute
integrity and his wise counsel have made him an invaluable leader not only
for the West Virginia Baptist Convention, but for American Baptist Churches
USA as a whole.  I shall personally miss him and the critical role he has
played in the national councils of the denomination."

The Executive Committee of the West Virginia Baptist Convention will meet
Jan. 9 to consider transitional issues and interim leadership during the
search process for Hamblin's successor.

The West Virginia Baptist Convention, one of 35 regions within American
Baptist Churches USA, includes approximately 469 churches and 87,765
members.

K/2004ABNS/04ABN2

American Baptist News Service: Office of Communication, American Baptist
Churches USA, P.O. Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851; (800)ABC-3USA x2077
/ (610)768-2077; fax: (610)768-2320; www.abc-usa.org;
richard.schramm@abc-usa.org