From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS3733 Mixed reaction follows same-sex wedding

From "Anglican Communion News Service" <acnslist@anglicancommunion.org>
Date Sat, 10 Jan 2004 18:52:20 -0000

ACNS 3733     |     CANADA     |     10 JANUARY 2003

Mixed reaction follows same-sex wedding

by Solange de Santis

[ACNS source: Anglican Journal] Some of the callers and writers were
viciously, personally abusive, others were supportive, others
disappointed and still others were confused. That was the range of
reaction reported by Bishop Ralph Spence and Dean Peter Wall of the
diocese of Niagara after Dean Wall married a lesbian couple last August
at Christ's Church Cathedral in Hamilton, Ontario.

Reflecting their different positions in the diocese - Bishop Spence is
Dean Wall's supervisor - and their different roles in the event, Bishop
Spence's mail was more critical than Dean Wall's.

"It was exactly as I predicted. There have been two reactions. Some were
indifferent and some were furious - both clergy and laypeople," said
Bishop Spence, referring to the dozens of letters, e-mails and phone
calls he has received since a story about the wedding appeared in the
Anglican Journal last December.

"A clear majority" of the messages he received were critical and opposed
to gay marriage, he said. "Even people in favour of blessing same-sex
unions were against jumping the process," he said, referring to the fact
that all bishops except Michael Ingham of New Westminster have agreed
not to permit blessing rites until General Synod considers the matter
later this year. The diocese of New Westminster in 2002 approved
offering blessings to gay couples.

However, he added, "some who were supportive of the issue were pleased
that someone had the courage to do it." Others felt he should have been
tougher in his disciplining of Dean Wall, whose licence to perform
marriages was suspended by Bishop Spence for three months.

Dean Wall said in an interview that he has received about 125
communications and that the "overwhelming majority were very positive
and very moving." The positive responses said "we're proud of you and
we're pleased someone in the church is doing this," he said. People from
other denominations also wrote to say that they are "proud of the
Anglican Church for struggling with [this issue]," he said.

"Some people are calling me a prophet and a hero, neither of which is
true. They said that sometimes it takes somebody to step out in front,"
said Dean Wall.

The critical responses generally fell into two categories, he said.
"Some were very critical I would involve the church with a homosexual
relationship. I would characterize (those responses) as homophobic. Some
felt I broke the rules and embarrassed my church and my bishop," he
said. Some of the correspondence was personal and abusive, he added.

In December, Dean Wall said, he held a "town hall" meeting to allow
cathedral parishioners to express opinions on the issue. A total of 40
people attended two sessions. "People expressed dismay or anger, but
there was a balance of voices. I think the people most dismayed with me
just wanted to tell me that and I encouraged that, and I think at the
end of it there was a sense that it's okay for us to walk together even
if we disagree. We can have unity without uniformity," Dean Wall said.

Some people have suggested, both in letters to the Journal and to Bishop
Spence, that the dean should lose his job and resign other positions he
holds. He is a member of the national church's faith, worship and
ministry committee and chair of the worship committee for General Synod
2004. He also holds the position of diocesan liturgical officer and is
on the board of the Anglican Foundation. He is also chair of Liturgy
Canada, a national organization that researches and publishes material
concerning liturgy.

"I have offered to the groups I'm involved with to withdraw or resign
and in no case has it been taken up," said Dean Wall. Bishop Spence, who
did not know of the wedding beforehand and has said he felt "blindsided"
by his friend and colleague's action, commented, "It's history now. I am
so keen to go on with life at the cathedral and the diocese. I have
worked hard in the last four weeks to put this behind us and get our act
together as we go to General Synod. Niagara is hosting this event, we
will have a new primate and there is a lot to look forward to."

His relationship with Mr Wall "has continued in a positive sense," but
emotionally, he said. "I certainly went through the washing machine spin
cycle on this."

Link:
Dean who married same-sex couple prayed he could 'welcome all people'
http://anglicanjournal.com/129/10/canada12.html