From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS3734 A point of important information and clarification

From Anglican Communion News Service <acnslist@anglicancommunion.org>
Date Mon, 12 Jan 2004 13:32:20 -0000

ACNS 3734     |     ACNS     |	   12 JANUARY 2004

A point of important information and clarification concerning ACNS 3730:
Statement from Bishops of the Province of the Congo

It has been brought to my attention that the statement from the Province
of the Congo has within it two items that need clarification:

The Statement reads:

"We, the Bishops of the Anglican Province of the Democratic Republic of
the Congo...strongly condemn...the use of the newly devised Prayer Book
published by the Diocese of New Westminster/Canada for the purpose of
officiating the blessing of same-sex marriages..." (ACNS 3730)

The Communications Officer for the Diocese of New Westminster, Neale
Adams, has written to say that the Diocese of New Westminster has
neither devised a "Prayer Book" nor does it allow "same-sex marriages".

Mr Adams said in a letter, "As you are no doubt aware, we in the Diocese
of New Westminster, synod and bishop, in our commitment to ensuring that
homosexuals who seek to be included in the Anglican Communion feel safe
and respected and loved by God, have together authorized a blessing of
covenanted same sex unions."

The statement was issued on ACNS, attributed to the original source, and
had been widely distributed.

Jim Rosenthal
Director of Communications