From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Centre won't be campaign-debate site

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date Mon, 12 Jan 2004 15:01:01 -0600

Note #8066 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

Centre won't be campaign-debate site
04014
January 12, 2004

Centre won't be campaign-debate site

by Evan Silverstein

LOUISVILLE, KY - Presbyterian-related Centre College, which hosted a vice
presidential debate in 2000 and was one of 14 finalists for a candidates'
debate this year, was not among the sites recently chosen by the Commission
on Presidential Debates.

"We're obviously disappointed at the outcome for this election cycle, but
Centre is going to remain a place where important conversations occur," said
John A. Roush, president of the 1,000-student liberal arts college in
Danville, KY. "We feel that our strong performance in 2000 and the serious
consideration we received this time around will make us a strong contender in
2008."

The commission didn't say why it selected other sites over Centre.

The locations that will host 2004 presidential debates are the University of
Miami, Coral Gables, FL; Washington University, St. Louis, MO; and Arizona
State University, Tempe, AZ. Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland,
OH, will be the site of this year's vice presidential debate.

The commission also chose two back-up sites - the Rochester Institute of
Technology, Rochester, NY, and the University of South Carolina, Columbia,
SC.

Centre officials learned in April that the Danville campus, about 30 miles
southwest of Lexington, was being considered for a campaign debate in 2004.

 "The Commission on Presidential Debates was honored that Centre College
sought to host another general election debate in 2004," said Janet Brown,
the commission's executive director. "In many ways, Centre set the standard
for general-election debates - in terms of facilities, execution, and
especially broad public involvement and civic education - as the host of the
vice presidential debate in 2000."

The commission is a non-partisan, non-profit corporation that sponsors and
produces the debates.