From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Presiding Bishop's letter to bishops on Supplemental

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Tue, 13 Jan 2004 12:20:04 -0500

Title:[ENS]Presiding Bishop's letter to bishops on Supplemental Episcopal
Pastoral Care

031205-1

12/5/2003

[Episcopal News Service] December 5, 2003

For the House of Bishops

My dear brothers and sisters:

The Council of Advice has just met with me and, given the fact that its
members are elected from each of the nine provinces, their reports on the
state of the church from their several perspectives were immensely helpful
to me. What they had to say confirmed much of what I have been hearing from
you and others about the life we share in Christ and the complexities of the
present moment.

Our first order of the business was the election of a new president of the
Council. I am happy to report that Charles Jenkins was unanimously elected.

Once again I was made aware of the incredible work that so many of you have
done in caring for your dioceses following the General Convention, and of
the sacrificial expenditure of yourselves in listening to various voices and
serving as ministers of interpretation and encouragement.  Never have I felt
more privileged to be a member of the House of Bishops of the Episcopal
Church.

I have certainly had my burdens to bear as well, though in a somewhat
different way, and have had to experience the deep sadness of relationships
becoming impaired or broken.  At the same time I find an unexpected
confidence stirring within me, and look ahead with a hope not of my own
making.

One of the matters the Council discussed at some length was Supplemental
Episcopal Pastoral Care and the draft that was circulated to you all on
October 31 for discussion and, where appropriate, immediate implementation.
I note here that the draft was marked "confidential" in order to insure that
you received it before it found its way onto the web.  At this point, you
can certainly strike "confidential" and share it as you wish.

You will be hearing from Charles Jenkins shortly about the Council's
expectation that Supplemental Episcopal Pastoral Care will be discussed
thoroughly at forthcoming provincial meetings of bishops.  We will then
gather reactions both to the draft and the implementation of its provisions
in preparation for further revision and discussion by the House as a whole
at our meeting in March.

Shortly after sending the draft on Supplemental Episcopal Pastoral Care to
you I sent it along to the Archbishop of Canterbury through his chancellor,
who has been in conversation about it with my chancellor.  I have been in
consultation with the Archbishop, and in a conversation earlier this week he
made it clear that the responsibility for working out a form of extended
episcopal ministry lies within our province.  Indeed, the consultation
envisaged in the statement of the primates following our October meeting is
precisely that and does not involve some kind of direct intervention on his
part.

The matter of Supplemental Episcopal Pastoral Care in the Episcopal Church
is clearly the responsibility of our bishops - to whom is given the ministry
of oversight - and we are obliged to treat it with full seriousness. It is
my firm belief that by exercising generosity and pastoral sensitivity in a
spirit of trust we can meet the needs of all of our congregations.

I note here how important it is for all of us who hold jurisdiction to be
full partners in this work, regardless of our points of view.  The various
speculations about alternative structures and realignments are unhelpful and
draw us away from the hard work we must do together in order to be faithful
as chief pastors to all of our people, and to honor our call to be ministers
of Christ's reconciling love.

As we journey through these Advent days let us remember that the one who
came among us and will come again is with us now. With open and undefended
hearts may we welcome the one who is the Word and allow ourselves to be
drawn more fully and deeply into his ongoing work of drawing all things to
himself.

This comes as always with my gratitude and love,

Yours in Christ,

Frank T. Griswold
Presiding Bishop and Primate