From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS3738 Archbishop Carnley announces retirement

From Anglican Communion News Service <acnslist@anglicancommunion.org>
Date Tue, 13 Jan 2004 18:39:14 -0000

ACNS 3738     |     AUSTRALIA	  |	13 JANUARY 2004

Archbishop Carnley announces retirement

[ACNS source: Anglican Diocese of Perth, Australia] The head of the
Anglican Church in Australia, Archbishop Peter Carnley, has announced
that he will step down as Archbishop of Perth and Primate of Australia
in May 2005.

Dr Carnley was appointed Archbishop of Perth in 1981 and will retire on
the 24th anniversary of his consecration and installation. Born in 1937,
Archbishop Carnley will be retiring at the age of 67 and a half, two
years before the compulsory retiring age for clergy in the Diocese of
Perth. Dr Carnley's last official engagements will be in February 2005,
after which he will take accumulated leave.

His announcement was made in a letter sent on 6 January to all members
of the governing bodies of the Diocese of Perth, all Australian bishops
and the Archbishop of Canterbury.

Dr Carnley said that by announcing his retirement over a year before it
takes effect, he was providing the opportunity for his successor to be
appointed and to take up the position with little or no interruption.

Speaking of his time as Archbishop, Dr Carnley said that it had been 'an
enormous privilege to have exercised the ministry of a bishop in the
Diocese of Perth with its lively mix of richly diverse worshipping
communities, and educational and welfare institutions of such
self-evident calibre.'

"Ann and I have always felt greatly blessed to have been invited to come
and live in this beautiful city: our family has flourished here," Dr
Carnley said. "Naturally, there have been some ups and downs, but
generally speaking the downs have been few, and overshadowed by far by
the positively life-giving and good things that we have experienced.

"All the while I have had an overriding sense of the operation of the
Grace of God, of the sheer human goodness of those who are baptised into
Christ, and of the sustained goodwill and prayerful support of the
faithful people of the Diocese."

Dr Carnley's position as head of the Anglican Church in Australia, and
therefore as a member of the leadership group of the world-wide Anglican
Communion, will be determined in 2005. All Australia's diocesan bishops
and an equivalent number of Anglican lay and clergy representatives will
meet to elect his successor.

Reflecting on his diocesan achievements, Dr Carnley spoke of the absence
of factionalism in the Diocese as allowing him, with the people and
clergy, to focus on more tangible expressions of the Gospel, such as the
development of a 'new generation' of inclusive, low-fee Anglican
community schools.

"We opened the first of five such schools in 1986 and they have become a
model for similar Anglican schools in all Australian States and
Territories."

"My fondest memories, however, will be those of the Church's Eucharistic
worship, from the glimpse of heaven on earth at great Cathedral
occasions to smaller but no less authentic anticipations of the
messianic banquet in gatherings of parish communities, whether in the
city or in remote sub-centres in the country. The scale of an Anglican
worshipping community, where people can really know and support and care
for one another, is one of our very great strengths."

Dr Carnley and his wife Ann will retire to their property in the south
west of West Australia where they will enjoy some tranquil time and
space together in the Western Australian bush, catch up on some reading,
write a little, garden and - above all - enjoy their grandchildren.

[A photograph of Archbishop Peter Carnley at the Primates' Meeting, May
2003, is available at:
http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acns/articles/37/25/acns3738.cfm]