From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Reviews mixed for PC(USA) commercials

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date Fri, 16 Jan 2004 15:02:14 -0600

Note #8077 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

Reviews mixed for PC(USA) commercials
04029
January 16, 2004

Reviews mixed for PC(USA) commercials

Some say TV spots take too long to identify the denomination

by Evan Silverstein

LOUISVILLE - Three television commercials being test-marketed in Colorado as part of a new Presbyterian Church (USA) awareness campaign are getting mixed reviews.

The three 30-second spots are the first part of a national-media ad campaign being rolled out by the church. The target audience is an ethnically diverse population of people ranging in age from 25 to 45.

The commercials all relate to the theme, "Here and Now," and present the PC(USA) as a spiritual alternative for men and women not involved in church life.

 From a rugby field to a hospital delivery room to a residential rooftop, simple story lines convey the message that life's transitional phases are good times to seek spiritual and group support through the PC(USA).

"It's really difficult to determine what the cause and effect of the
commercials are, because people visit our churches for various reasons and
motivations," said the Rev. Gary R. Weaver, the executive presbyter of the
Presbytery of Pueblo. "They don't always articulate the reasons for why they
stop in."

In November, church officials began test-marketing the TV portion of the ad
campaign in Colorado Springs, CO, in Pueblo Presbytery. The commercials,
produced by the Red7e advertising agency in Louisville, are scheduled for
broadcast over local network affiliates until mid-February.

The overall response has been more positive then negative, Weaver said, and
Presbyterians in the area are excited to see the church trying to raise
awareness of the denomination and reaching out to a younger, more diverse
crowd.

However, he said, they have received some criticism from people who think
they take too long to get around to identifying the PC(USA) and don't do
enough to bolster local congregations.

"My observation was that the Presbyterian symbol was about the only thing
that identified that this was an ad for the Presbyterian Church (USA),"
Weaver said, "and it's pretty small. If we're putting out all that money to
try to raise the visibility of the Presbyterian Church, in particular - not
just churches in general - we ought to be more clear what church is putting
out these advertisements."

A denominational press release about the campaign noted that the ads can be
customized by congregations for local use. It said the campaign will
eventually include three radio spots and five newspaper ads, in addition to
the TV commercials, in media across the nation.

In the rugby commercial, a player finds it increasingly difficult to ignore
the aches and pains that result from being thrown to the ground by opposing
players.

"One day, all of a sudden it hits you," a narrator says. "You're 39, and
you're not invincible. When you're ready, there's a church - here and now."
For the last few seconds, the Presbyterian seal appears onscreen, along with
the tag line, "Here and Now."

The other commercials feature a woman giving birth and a young male roofer
working on a home.

"You believe in the land of opportunity," the announcer says in the roofer
ad. "You believe in a better future for yourself and your family. You believe
that hard work has its rewards. Guess what? Someone believes in you. When
you're ready, there's a church - here and now."

Weaver said some people like some of the ads better than others.

"Some like one over the other, and some respond actually negatively to some
of the ads," he said. "I don't know what it is about the birth ad; women, in
particular, don't seem to like it. The rugby ad and the roofer ... have
gotten most of the positive responses."

The Rev. Jim Smith, executive minister of 5,000-member First Presbyterian
Church in Colorado Springs, believes the commercials miss the mark.

"I feel like they missed the target population that is missing in the
Presbyterian Church (USA); that's younger adults," he said. "It seems like to
me that a major population that is missing from our denomination was
overlooked."

Smith said he thinks the spots fall short in comparison to those of other
faith groups, but said he was pleased that the PC(USA) is making the effort.

"When I look at what the Methodists have done, and the Mormons, there's no
comparison to the quality of what they did versus what we did," Smith said.
"In fact, the logo, you had to get up close to the TV to even see what church
they were talking about. While I thought it was a good effort over all, when
I compare it ... to other religious organizations, I don't think it was the
same kind of quality: the theme, the way it was done, just everything. I
think that (from) what I've seen, even with the Mormons, theirs have been
more engaging."

Bonnie Lake, the office manager at Monument Community Presbyterian Church in
Monument, CO, said she liked the ads, but also believed the PC(USA) should
have been identified earlier.

"The ads are almost over before I realize what it is," she said, "and I
missed the first line or two, but the ending has the Presbyterian cross and a
good comment. ... It's almost like they needed to have something first that
catches people's eyes. ... But over all, I think (the campaign) is
wonderful."

Colorado Springs, about 70 miles south of Denver, is considered prime
territory for sampling, partly because its diverse racial-ethnic makeup and
young-adult population match the target audience very well. The Presbytery of
Pueblo has 28 congregations and one new-church development representing 9,415
Presbyterians in all, according to Weaver.

Contributors to the campaign include staff from the denomination's National
Ministries Division, Evangelism and Church Development, Racial-Ethnic
Ministries,  Office of Communication, Congregational Ministries Division, and
the Office of Theology and Worship.

A program is being developed to help congregations make use of the ads. The
campaign is expected to be ready for churchwide distribution by this summer's
216th General Assembly in Richmond, VA.