From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[LCMSNews] Directors, CCM discuss differences

From "LCMS e-News" <LCMSENEWS@lcms.org>
Date Tue, 20 Jan 2004 16:18:51 -0600

	 <http://www.lcms.org>
e-News
	LCMS News

	PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS E-MAIL MESSAGE! This message comes
from a "Send Only" Mailbox that does not recognize replies.

	January 20, 2004 .................... LCMSNews -- No. 3

	Directors, CCM discuss their differences

	By David L. Mahsman

	The Commission on Constitutional Matters (CCM) and
representatives of the Synod's Board of Directors Jan. 5 had what the
CCM's chairman termed an "open and frank discussion" related to recent
Board actions.

	Synod President Gerald Kieschnick arranged the meeting in
response to what he has called "an apparent conflict between these two
important groups of synodical leaders." At its Nov. 19-22 meeting, the
Board of Directors took issue with eight CCM opinions - five define
limits to the Board's authority, three deal with "ecclesiastical
supervision" - and declared them to be "of no effect."

	"We met into the early afternoon. We had an open and frank
discussion of their position," said CCM Chairman Walter Tesch. He said
no conclusions were reached.

	"There was no conclusion that we could make," Board of Directors
Chairman Robert Kuhn told "Reporter" in a separate interview. "The
meeting was called to talk, so that's what we did."

	Kieschnick participated in the meeting but referred questions to
Tesch and Kuhn, who he said were designated by participants to be
spokesmen. Neither had much to say.

	"We met, we had a good meeting, we were in a position to discuss
our positions," Kuhn said.

	Representing the Board at the meeting with Kuhn were members
Christian Preus, David Hawk, Ernest Garbe and Dr. Thomas Kuchta, who
also is serving as the Synod's interim chief administrative officer.

	In its November resolutions, the Board said that the eight CCM
opinions "exceed the service function of the CCM provided in Bylaw
3.905d." That bylaw says the CCM shall "interpret the Synod's
Constitution, Bylaws, and resolutions."

	Following the Jan. 5 meeting, Tesch said that the CCM "has
concluded that it will continue to do what the Synod has assigned to us
in Bylaw 3.905."

	In a Dec. 17 e-mailed "Letter to Pastors," Kieschnick included a
section on the Board-CCM matter.

	"While I obviously understand and fully support proper concern
of the BOD [Board of Directors] for protecting the assets of the Synod
and protecting the Synod from litigation, liability and vulnerability, I
am also deeply concerned with the adoption by the BOD of resolutions
that appear clearly to be in conflict with the Constitution and Bylaws
of our Synod," Kieschnick wrote. He cited three provisions:

	* "The officers of the Synod must assume only such rights as
have been expressly conferred upon them by the Synod" (Constitution Art.
XI, A, 1).

	* The Board of Directors "shall have the right to call up for
review, criticism, modification, or revocation any action or policy of a
program board, commission, or council, excerpt opinions of the
Commission on Constitutional Matters" (Bylaw 3.183,d,2).

	* "An opinion rendered by the Commission (CCM) shall be binding
on the question decided unless and until it is overruled by a synodical
convention ..." (Bylaw 3.905d).

	In December, Kuchta told "Reporter" that the Board had to take
the action it did to protect congregations from individual legal
liability. The Board addresses the matter at greater length in "Board
Briefs II," the second installment in an online "question-and-answer"
feature the Board says is intended to "clear up ... confusion and
provide assurance to the members of our Synod."

	"Board Briefs II," which was posted Jan. 8, can be accessed on
the Web at www.lcms.org/?4157 <http://www.lcms.org/?4157>  . In it, the
Board acknowledges that declaring the eight CCM opinions "of no effect"
is a "drastic action," but says it is one that it had no choice but to
take. It says that those opinions "prevent the Board from carrying out
its responsibilities as required not only by the Synod's Constitution,
Bylaws, and resolutions but also by its Articles of Incorporation and
not-for-profit corporation law of the State of Missouri."

	The Synod, says the Board, has placed itself under Missouri law
and has agreed to function according to it in exchange for the benefits
and protections it provides.

	"The State of Missouri expects the Synod's Board of Directors to
function like a board of directors of a not-for-profit corporation,"
says "Board Briefs." "One of those specific expectations is that the
authority of the Synod's Board may not be limited by what the state
considers a lesser entity in the organization (in this case, the CCM)
unless that limitation is specifically provided for in the Synod's
Articles of Incorporation. At present, there is no such limitation."

	The Board says that its authority is limited in the Articles of
Incorporation only by Synod conventions. "Although Article VII of the
Articles provides for Bylaws to enable the Synod to carry out its
objectives, the Articles do not specifically grant to any entity in the
Synod other than a convention the right to exercise power over the
Board," it says. "Therefore, the Board, in order to obey the law and to
protect the not-for-profit corporation status of the Synod, had no
choice but to declare certain opinions of the CCM 'of no effect.'"

	"Board Briefs" says that the Board believes it is continuing to
function according to the Synod's Bylaws, but that there are "conflicts"
in the Bylaws.

	"The Bylaws require the Board of Directors to function according
to the laws of the state. At the same time, the Bylaws undermine the
authority of the Board by making CCM decisions an ultimate authority in
business, property, and legal matters," it says. "The Board has turned
this problem over to the Commission on Structure for resolution by the
2004 convention."

	If you have questions or comments about this LCMSNews release,
contact Joe Isenhower Jr. at joe.isenhower@lcms.org or (314) 996-1231,
or Paula Schlueter Ross at paula.ross@lcms.org or (314) 996-1230.

	  This Edition of "LCMS News" e-News is provided by:

	Board for Communication Services, Division of News and
Information
Contact Editor
<http://www.lcms.org/enews/contact_editor.asp?title=LCMS%20News&editorid
=6>

		To subscribe to or unsubscribe from this Newsletter and
many others, please visit LCMS e-News <http://www.lcms.org/enews> .
		Share this Newsletter
<http://www.lcms.org/enews/forward.asp?m=1529>	with a friend.

MessageId=1529
  _____

Design ) Copyright 2003 The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod.
<http://www.lcms.org>
No reproduction without consent. All rights reserved.