From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ALC News Noticias Jan 19 2004

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Tue, 20 Jan 2004 15:28:57 -0800

ALC NEWS SERVICE
E-mail: director@alcnoticias.org

ALC HEADLINES:
BRAZIL: The IELB celebrates 100th anniversary bringing together 10,000 at
worship service
ARGENTINA: Methodist General Assembly offers message to the nation
ARGENTINA: Evangelicals promote reform of Santa Fe provincial constitution
BRAZIL: Bible Museum offers remarkable treasures
BRAZIL: Encontrao Movement obtains huge tent for Evangelical campaigns

BRAZIL
The IELB celebrates 100th anniversary bringing together 10,000 at worship
service

By Edelberto Behs
GRAMADO, January 12, 2004 (alc).  The Evangelical Lutheran Church of Brazil
brought together more than 10,000 people in the Gramado Park to celebrate
its 100th anniversary on Brazilian soil.

Delegations from across the nation traveled to Gramado, 115 kms from Porto
Alegre for the service. Organizers were expecting 5,000 at the event that
was originally planned for the neighboring city of Canela. They had 24
hours to find a bigger venue.

IELB President Carlos Walter Winterle focused his sermon on the parable of
the mustard seed. Gods kingdom, he said, is not a company that need
sophisticated marketing resources to grow. It was the German immigrants,
our grandparents and great grandparents who brought this seed to southern
Brazil, he said. Today there is much to be sown and much to be harvested.

A 600-voice choir accompanied by three orchestras provided the music. The
choir involved voices from 78 Lutheran congregations who practiced at home
using music recorded on a CD.

Prior to the worship service a civic service was held with the
participation of the vice governor of the State Antonio Hohlfeldt and
president Winterle received a Honoris Causa Doctorate from Irvine
University of California.

According to the IELB magazine Mensajero Luterano, at the end of the XIX
Century of the 18 million people living in Brazil, 600,000 were of German
origin and one sixth lived in Rio Grande do Sul. At the end of 2002, the
IELB had 222,508 members ministered by 553 pastors in 1,938 congregations
across the nation.

By 2010 the IELB aims to have 300,000 members. It recently reached the goal
of being present in all state capitals when it established a mission in
Macapa, capital of Amapa, a state in the extreme northern part of Brazil on
the border with French Guyana.

The 58th National IELB Convention was inaugurated in the celebration and
will take place January 11-15. The main goal will be to plan the Churchs
missionary work until 2010.

Winterle said that Lutheran Churches from around the world aim to hold a
major Evangelical movement to reach 100 million people by 2017, the 500th
anniversary of Protestant Reform.

The first National Convention of the Missouri Synod in Rio Grande do Sul,
that gave rise to the IELB, was held June 23, 1904.

Five years earlier the Synod had named Pastor Christian J. Borders as a
missionary to Brazil. In July 1900 Broders brought together 17 families to
found the San Juan de Colonia San Pedro Evangelical Community, the first
congregation of the Missouri Synod of Brazil.

Broders was sent to Brazil to substitute Pastor J. Brutschin who was to
return to Germany. However, Brutschin did not travel and Broders decided to
investigate the area. When he visited San Jeronimo he was sad to confirm
that the Germans and their descendants were more interested in dancing,
getting drunk and gambling than in the Word of God, said the Lutheran
Messenger.

In one place he found 22 dance halls and only one Evangelical chapel. I
cannot recommend the State of Rio Grande do Sul as a missionary field, he
wrote to the US Synod and decided to return to America.

While he was in Pelotas a cart driver who was transporting colonial
products to the Rio Grande Port said that there were around 10,000
immigrants and German descendants in the surrounding area who did not have
spiritual help.

So Broders went to the San Pedro Colony where the first congregation of the
Missouri Synod was born in Rio Grande do Sul in 1900. In his first report
Broders said I have struck oil and of the finest quality.

  The 100th anniversary worship service was attended by the president of
the Evangelical Church of the Lutheran Confession of Brazil (IECLB) Pastor
Walter Altmann, the Catholic Bishop of Porto Alegre Dadeus Grings,
representatives of the Independent Presbyterian Church and foreign guests
including a delegation from the US Lutheran Church. .(004/2004).

ARGENTINA
Methodist General Assembly offers message to the nation

CORDOBA, January 12, 2004 (alc). The XVII General Assembly of the Argentine
Evangelical Methodist Church (IEMA) sent a message to its faithful entitled
Rise Up Church: New Days are Coming, while in another call to the
Argentine people it said Come, New Days Are Coming.

  Never has there been such an opportune moment to transform this slogan
into a cry of hope for our country, said the IEMAs message to the nation
after recalling that last December Argentina celebrated 20 years of
uninterrupted democracy. It admitted, however, that over the course of
these two decades many of those who represented this democracy have ended
up dashing popular expectations.

The message to Methodist congregations said our country is in a process of
change and we want this change to be for the better We know it is not an
easy task and that the old ways, which lead us to more than one difficult
crisis in our history, resist ceding space.

However, the Lord calls us to be a Church in mission, which is to say a
community of witnesses to Jesus who, mobilized by the Holy Spirit, recover
their passion to make the Word known.

The two statements were made at the end of the General Assembly held
January 4-9 in the Embalse de Rio Tercero hotel complex in the northern
province of Cordoba.

The National IEMA Missionary Meeting was held at the same time, attended by
2,000 people including 580 young people. The event included 50 training
workshops for youth and adults, 10 for adolescents and Christian education
activities for children.

Evangelism, renewal of worship, Parish life, spiritual growth and
solidarity service were the principal focuses of this activity.

Ninety delegates including lay people and pastors from all parishes and
Churches across the nation attended the XVIII General IEMA Assembly. It is
held every two years and is the Methodist Churchs maximum decision-making
body.

Bishop Nelly Ritchie presided the Assembly that evaluated the work over the
past two years and planned the next working period. The IEMA has a
recognized trajectory in human rights defense, ecumenical dialogue,
solidarity service and education. It has been working in the country since
1836 and has 110 parishes and places of worship.

The message to the Argentine people underlines that we want to affirm the
value of living in democracy and to definitively discard any option that
violates grassroots will, either by military coups or the degradation of a
democratic system through immoral practices.

For this reason we call on all people to demand the fulfillment of projects
that lead to greater justice. Over the course of 2003 major steps were
taken to recover the status of Republic and the democratic institutions
that had been so weakened over the course of the past decade.

However, no national or grassroots project will be possible while a
capitalist system reigns that is destroying countries and continents
through economic extortion, fratricidal wars, the breakdown of the
solidarity ethic, anti-terrorist crusades that only seek to hide the
empires insatiable greed for power, said the IEMA.

We Methodist Christians denounce this system that destroys life, as a fruit
of the sin of greed and human avarice and we condemn it with the strength
that comes from the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

For the God of Life we can affirm Come, new days are coming. We will work
to promote honesty, respect, cooperation, solidarity and justice in all of
society. We know that, while the hoped for process of profound changes will
be arduous and difficult, our hope is founded only in the one who makes all
things new, affirmed the call.

The call to Methodist congregations exhorts Rise up Church. New days are
coming if you act with vital force, defending your life and that of your
people. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be
terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you
wherever you go." (Joshua 1, 9).

The unjust and destructive economic model that is present in our country
provoked the crisis of moral values that only deepened corruption and
impunity due to a lack of valid justice, actions on the part of mafias and
increasing crime, it added.

Moreover, it added, the world panorama is also worrying. The so-called war
against international terrorism responds to economic and hegemonic needs.
In the name of a pseudo god of peace, freedom and democracy the aim is to
justify a world system of economic imperialism, social, racial and
religious discrimination.

There will be new days if we allow the Lord to heal relations among
members, congregations and institutional bodies; if we forgive the
offences; if we leave old confrontations and quarrels at the foot of the
cross. If we testify, proclaim and serve all men and women. If we announce
the Gospel with fire and passion, it affirmed.

And there will be new days if we do all this in relationship with other
communities of faith that unite us in the same faith, baptism and same the
Lord and with other religious communities and social movements where we
are united by the aim to struggle in favor of life, concluded the Methodist
call. (005/2004).

ARGENTINA
Evangelicals promote reform of Santa Fe provincial constitution

ROSARIO, January 14, 2004 (alc). Representatives from Evangelical Churches
presented a series of studies and proposals related to reforming the
provincial constitution of Santa Fe to guarantee real and concrete freedom
of thought, expression, religious and worship.

The documents were presented to Gustavo Vera, under-secretary of Justice
and Workshop from the Province of Santa Fe.

In an audience that lasted nearly two hours, representatives from the
Confraternity of Christian leaders raised the need to modify article 3 of
the 1962 provincial constitution that states that the religious of the
province is Catholic, Apostolic and Roman. It goes on to say that the
state provides its most decisive protection, without harming the freedom
of religion that its residents enjoy for the Catholic Church.

While Article 12 of the Constitution from this province in northern
Argentina proclaims the free profession of religious faith, as an
individual or group, is the only one of Argentines 24 provinces to
declare an official religion.

Evangelical leaders said that an example of a clear separation between
Religion and State is the Chaco constitution that states that the
provinces does not protect any religion or worship or contribute to its
maintenance.

The Confraternity of Christian Leaders, who represent some 150 Evangelical
Churches in Rosario and the surrounding area were represented by Pastors
Carlos Agustmn Ahuban, of the Church Disciples of Our Lord Jesus Christ and
Rodolfo Maidana of the Church The Refuge and Maria Cristina Infanti of
the Churches Eagles of the Lord.

Ahuban, general coordinator of the Confraternity and leader of the Research
Center, Church Studies and Training, offered arguments based on legal and
historic reasons and human rights and International law.

He said that evangelicals with more than 150 years of presence currently
constitute 15 percent of the population of Santa Fe and that the requested
constitutional modification will facilitate the normal operation of the
Churches in their different aspects, both spiritual as well as regarding
service to society (community, health, education, etc).

For his part, Vera said the meeting is the beginning of the process to
debate a new and modified constitution for the province.

  Participating pastors expressed their satisfaction for the dialogue and
underlined that the freedom of worship is not in discussion because it is a
right that is consecrated in all jurisdictions, but what does seem to be
the object of questions is the relationship between the Church and the State.

BRAZIL
Bible Museum offers remarkable treasures

SAO PAULO, January 14, 2004 (alc). The Bible Museum in this Brazilian city,
inaugurated last Month, contains some true bibliographic treasures among
its 3,000 books.

For example, there is a copy of the Vulgate, printed in Venice in 1583. The
Vulgate was a Latin translation of the Bible, translated directly from
Hebrew by San Jeronimo (342-420) and that the Council of Trent declared to
be the authentic version of the Sacred Scriptures, a status in held for
1,000 years.

There is also a tiny text that is barely 0.5 centimeters square, or the
size of a grain of rice, that contains the Our Father in several languages.
The museum also houses the first Portuguese Bible, an original version that
dates from 1819.

The Sao Paulo Bible Museum was created by specialized architects and
includes several different areas such as a room to house the Bible in the
world, the Bible for children and a room for special expositions.

It was inaugurated with an exposition to pay homage to the 200th
anniversary of the creation of the Foreign and British Bible Society that
sparked the world movement to disseminate the Holy Book in the majority of
countries and in all languages.

Among other things, it is an interactive space. There are Bible knowledge
games, a listening room, audio and video and a panel that allows visitors
to experience Bible aromas such as myrrh, among others.

This Museum was built thanks to cooperation between the Brazilian Bible
Society and the Municipality of Barueri where it is located. There is no
entrance fee and visitors can see a replica of the press invented by
Gutenberg and a collection of images that contain excerpts of the Bible and
examples from the XIX Century.

BRAZIL
Encontrao Movement obtains huge tent for Evangelical campaigns

By Edelberto Behs
CURITIBA, January 16, 2004 (alc). The Zero Mission of the Encontrao
Movement (ME) has obtained a huge tent in order to evangelize as Jesus did,
traveling from one place to another, spreading the Good News to the most
isolated parts of the country.

The enormous blue and yellow tent, which can house 1,500 people, was made
in Joinville in the state of Santa Catarina. The project, known as the
Urban Tent Mission, is not looking for the funds to buy a truck to
transport the tent with seats for six.

The Friends of Mission, who support the ME, have collected 75 percent of
the US$17,000 they need to buy the truck. There is great enthusiasm to
support this project, said MEs Continuous Educational Coordinator Asta
Z|ge.

When the truck is ready the ME will be able to travel and hold meetings in
those parts of the country that the Evangelical Church of the Lutheran
Confession of Brazil (IECLB) does not usually reach given its conventional
parish structure. The IECLB forms part of the ME.

The tent has already been set up twice. The first time was in Vila Nori, in
the state of Curitiba on November 8-9.

The idea was born in the regional ME meeting in Mafra, Santa Catarina in
March last year. It was a collective dream, said Asta.

The idea is not new. On a smaller scale the parish of Matias, a
neighborhood in Canoas, in the metropolitan region of Porto Alegre, has
been using a tent for more than two years. We set up the tent in
neighborhoods where the Church does not have a presence and we begin to
call the people, said local pastor Paulo Gilberto Bvhm.

This tent is much smaller, with the capacity for 150 people. The parish
provides all the necessary infrastructure, benches, lighting etc. The tent
remains in a determined spot for a week to 10 days. In this time, the
parish practically moves to the tent, said the Pastor.

When we announce that the tent will be set up, the entire parish mobilizes,
from women to young people. More than 100 leaders participate, he added.

Bvhm warns, however, that continuity is decisive. We rent a meeting room
or we ask for a garage to sep on bringing people together, to hold worship
services and Bible studies, he said.

Once the transportation is in place, Mission Zero plans to travel Brazil
with the tent that will also serve to give Evangelical support to already
established communities or to hold mass Church events.

Agencia Latinoamericana y Caribeqa de Comunicacisn (ALC)
P.O. Box 14-225 Lima 14 Peru
Tel. (51 1) 462-0189  Telefax (51 1) 463 2496
Cell Phone (51 1) 9724 3959 / E-Mail: director@alcnoticias.org
Visit our web site: http://www.alcnoticias.org
To stop emails, please visit http://www.alcpress.org/StopNews.asp?lanCode=1