From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Disciples News Brief January 22, 2004

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Thu, 22 Jan 2004 23:28:13 -0800

Disciples News Brief January 22, 2004
Disciples News Service
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Amy Shockley
ashockley@cm.disciples.org
www.disciples.org

NEW CHURCH MINISTRY ENDS 2003 THREE YEARS AHEAD OF SCHEDULE
With the addition of 82 new church starts in 2003, New Church Ministry
reports an outstanding growth rate of 2.16%. "We had hoped we could achieve
a 2% growth rate by 2006. We are thankful for this great work that God is
doing in our Church," comments Rick Morse, Lead Minister for New Church
Ministry.  The goal for new churches in 2003 was 1% - or 38 churches.

A major goal of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) 2020 Vision is
to start 1,000 new churches by 2020. Morse estimates that these 82 new
churches represent anywhere from 8,500 to 11,000 new Disciples all over the
country. "You have to go back almost 100 years to see this kind of growth
in Disciples congregations," he says. For the complete story from New
Church Ministry, go to: http://www.newchurchministry.org/news/newsletter.asp

NCC LEADS 30-MEMBER ECUMENICAL DELEGATION TO CUBA JAN. 22-28
Disciples General Minister and President, the Rev. Chris Hobgood, joins a
30-member delegation of church leaders that will travel to Cuba, January
22-28. Consultation with Cuban churches on shared concerns and celebration
of the consecration of a new Greek Orthodox cathedral in Havana will top
the agenda. The delegation, lead by the National Council of Churches
U.S.A., has also requested a meeting with Cuba's President Fidel Castro. To
learn more from the NCC, go to: http://www.ncccusa.org/news/04cubaalert.html

OHIO REGIONAL PASTOR AND PRESIDENT VACANCY
The Christian Church in Ohio (Disciples of Christ) is seeking an
extraordinary individual to fill its Regional Pastor and President
position. The Ohio Region is fertile ground to display transformational
leadership and simulate denominational growth. To learn more about this
opportunity, including how to apply, go to:
http://www.disciples.org/internal/jobsgenreg.htm

WEEK OF COMPASSION UPDATE
Learn how emergency assistance is being given for those affected by Cycle
Heta in the South Pacific, how support continues in the Middle East for
earthquake relief and recovery efforts, and how Disciples youth groups can
take park in WOC's annual hunger response program called "Souper Bowl of
Caring."  Go to:
http://www.weekofcompassion.org/pages/updates/2004/jan0419.html

   *The Disciples News Brief is distributed weekly by Communication
Ministries. For changes, additions or deletions to our distribution list,
please contact news@cm.disciples.org.

wfn