From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS3751 New Co-Chairman for Porvoo Group

From Anglican Communion News Service <acnslist@anglicancommunion.org>
Date Mon, 26 Jan 2004 13:07:02 -0000

ACNS 3751     |     LAMBETH PALACE     |     26 JANUARY 2004

New Co-Chairman for Porvoo Group

[ACNS source: Lambeth Palace] On behalf of the Anglican Primates of the
British Isles, the Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Rowan Williams, has
confirmed the appointment of Bishop Martin Wharton of Newcastle,
England, as the new Anglican Co-Chairman of the Porvoo Contact Group,
succeeding Archbishop John Neill of Dublin, Ireland.

Together with the Lutheran Co-Chairman, Bishop Ragnar Persenius of
Uppsala in Sweden, Bishop Martin will take the lead in coordinating the
work of the Porvoo churches as they move even closer together in
partnership and common mission, and build on the foundations laid in the
first eight years of Porvoo.

The Porvoo Declaration was signed in 1996, after a series of talks on
Church unity, by the Churches of England and Ireland, the Church in
Wales and the Scottish Episcopal Church, together with the Churches of
Norway and Sweden, and the Evangelical-Lutheran Churches of Estonia,
Finland, Iceland and Lithuania. This was an historic moment, as for the
first time the Anglican Churches in Britain and Ireland moved into
visible communion with other national Churches in Europe, in addition to
the communion already existing with the Old Catholic Churches.

The churches covered by the Porvoo Agreement have a great deal in
common: their history, liturgy, identity and their understanding of the
Church's mission today are similar. They have committed themselves to
share a common life in mission and service, to pray for and with one
another, and to share resources, which has led to a rich and growing
fellowship. At the international level, they agreed to establish a
Contact Group to nurture their growth in communion and to co-ordinate
the implementation of the Agreement.

Bishop Martin said that commitment to common mission between the Porvoo
churches was already bearing fruit. "We are learning a great deal from
each other in our deepening relationship. The link between my own
diocese of Newcastle and More in Norway has proved greatly enriching,"
he said. "I am looking forward to discovering more about the Porvoo
Churches and working on behalf of the Anglican Churches in England,
Ireland, Scotland and Wales to develop this important relationship."

Detailed information about the Porvoo churches is available at:
www.porvoochurches.org.