From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

AACC Human rights records of African governments be checked

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Mon, 26 Jan 2004 12:59:36 -0800

AACC Information Desk
P. O. Box 14205
00800 Westlands
Nairobi, Kenya
Tel: 254-020-4441483/4441338/9
Fax: 254-020-4443241 /4445835
E-mail: infodesk@aacc-ceta.org

January 26th 2004

PRESS RELEASE

Human rights records of African governments be checked
By Mitch Odero

The Church in Africa has been called upon to take the task of rebuilding a
vigorous and dynamic civil society which can actively be involved in
significant continental issues.

The call was made last night (January 25) by the General Secretary of the
All Africa Conference of Churches Rev. Dr. H. Mvume Dandala.

Rev. Dandala was delivering his welcome speech to general secretaries of
the national Christian councils from all over Africa attending a four day
consultation in Nairobi.

He stressed "We have to take our place in the space reserved for civil
society development in the African Union.  More and more, the place of
faith based organisations in society is being recognised as critical".

He urged "we have to press for systems that will measure closely the human
rights records of our countries and governments. We have to address
powerfully the fragile position of the African woman in African social
structures.  We have to lift our voices for the victimised African child,
especially the African girl child".

Expressing concern on the increasing pattern of rapes of women and girl
children in Africa", he stressed that the pattern "must move us to holy,
but unbridled rage that will move our churches first to respond to this
predicament." The meeting is also being attended by leaders of sub-regional
fellowships of churches.

Referring to health care and HIV/AIDS pandemic, he stressed that he Church
in Africa and the people of Africa should not ignore the compounding
effects of multinationals, especially pharmaceuticals who see our suffering
as the expansion of their markets.

Rev. Dandala went on to note the New Partnership for Africa's Development
(NEPAD) "is" a vision for a continental development strategy and went on to
stress "our vigilance must not also waver from ensuring that while we
cannot ignore the fact that we are part of the globalising world, Africa
should not be swallowed in these to the detriment of our people."

The consultation whose theme is Mobilising the Ecumenical Movement for
Common purpose and Action in Africa is also attended by a delegation from
the Geneva based World Council of Churches.

Rev. Dandala went on to note that while the future of Africa depended on
the commitment of al leaders and citizens of Africa the youth were getting
frustrated because they are not offered a state in the future.	This he
said, should be addressed.

For further information contact:
Mitch Odero - AACC Information Desk
E-mail:  infodesk@aacc-ceta.org
Tel: 254-020-882021/22 (up to February 4th)
Fax: 254-020-4443241/4445835
Or website www.aacc-ceta.org

Note:  The meeting being held at KCB training centre is often to the press.