From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[LCMSNews] 'Nancy' won't be deported

From "LCMS e-News" <LCMSENEWS@lcms.org>
Date Fri, 30 Jan 2004 22:03:30 -0600

	 <http://www.lcms.org>
e-News
	LCMS News

	PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS E-MAIL MESSAGE! This message comes
from a "Send Only" Mailbox that does not recognize replies.

	LCMSNews -- No 5
	January 30, 2004

	Canadians let Nancy'
	apply for citizenship

	By Joe Isenhower Jr.

	"Nancy," the Missouri Synod Lutheran in Montreal who for the
last three years has faced the threat of being deported from Canada to
Iran, where she could be persecuted or killed for her beliefs, is now
free of that threat.

	Nancy was granted a United States visa just before Christmas and
heard from Canadian immigration authorities Jan. 23 that her third
application for refugee status had been accepted and that she is free to
apply for Canadian citizenship.

	Since October 2002, REPORTER, the Synods newspaper, has run
several articles about her plight.

	Nancy (not her real name) is retaining her anonymity because she
also may apply for Canadian citizenship for her husband and two
children, who remain in Iran.

	Nancy immigrated to Canada from Iran in 2000 and almost
immediately was threatened with deportation, unless she could prove to
Canadian authorities that she is a Christian and would face danger if
she returned to Iran.

	In Iran, it is legal to be Christian, but illegal to "convert"
to Christianity from Islam, which Nancy had done.

	She appealed through Canada's Pre-Removal Risk Assessment (PRRA)
program, which would qualify her for refugee status and enable her to
apply for citizenship. Her appeals were denied twice.

	Her third PRRA appeal was granted, which led to the Canadian
immigration authority's decision this month that allows her to apply for
citizenship.

	"God answered all my prayers," Nancy said in a Jan. 27 phone
interview. "I am so happy. Thank you so much to all my brothers and
sisters in Christ for all the prayers. I don't know how I can say this.
It is a miracle. God is great."

	Nancy's pastor, Rev. Harold Ristau of Ascension Lutheran Church,
Montreal, stood by Nancy throughout her three-year ordeal, supporting
her claim to be Christian.

	"The timing was all truly perfect," Ristau said in an e-mail the
day Nancy received the final decision from Canadian immigration. "In the
midst of all the legal chaos we were encountering, the Lord was truly
working it all according to His timing."

	Ristau said that Nancy's being granted the PRRA on the third try
"is practically unheard of. She may be the only person ever succeeding
at this level -- truly a miracle."

	Ristau said that Canadian authorities apparently were on the
verge of deporting Nancy last fall, after her second PRRA rejection, but
decided not to act then because she had applied for a U.S. religious
workers visa. Nancy had an offer to work among Muslims in Utah and in
the Las Vegas area from People of the Book Lutheran Outreach, an LCMS
mission society based in Michigan that reaches out to Muslims, Hindus
and Sikhs. Her work would have been in conjunction with Our Savior
Lutheran Church, St. George, Utah.

	Nancy's visa interview at the U.S. consulate in Montreal was on
Oct. 24. Rebecca Varner, the counselor there, "was surprised that Canada
was not accepting me," Nancy said.

	Ristau said that after Nancy was granted the U.S. visa, Canadian
immigration authorities decided to invite her to apply for permanent
residency in Canada, although she will not be able to leave the country
until she is a permanent resident, which could take a year.

	Nancy had a two-hour hearing at Canadian immigration offices
Jan. 8, and got a phone call Jan. 22 from Canadian Immigration and
Citizenship asking her to come to their offices in two days.

	The immigration officer who greeted them Jan. 24 "looked so
serious," Nancy said, as he carried two armloads of files documenting
her case.

	"He said `you are accepted,' and I screamed `what?'" Nancy said,
recalling that the officer congratulated her, said that her PRRA had
been accepted and that she could apply for Canadian citizenship for
herself and her family.

	"I can't explain the feeling to you," Nancy said between sobs of
joy. "I never thought it would happen. I can only thank God and all the
people who prayed for me!"

	Two days later, in comments after Ristau's sermon, Nancy thanked
the members of Ascension Lutheran Church for their prayers and support.

	Nancy said she intended to apply for Canadian citizenship by
Feb. 1 and for a work permit "as soon as possible," so she can resume
her former profession, nursing.

	"I want to work and tell people about Jesus," she said.

	Ristau said that Nancy's case had a "fairly high profile ... in
immigration circles," due to media involvement and the "voices" that
supported her. Among those who wrote letters on her behalf to Canadian
authorities were LCMS President Gerald Kieschnick, Missouri Synod SELC
District President Carl Krueger and Lutheran Church--Canada East
District President Allen Maleske.

	The cost for Nancy's citizenship, according to Ristau, will run
about $2,200 (Canadian dollars).

	"Any donations are always welcome," he said. "But the greatest
donation has been your prayers and letters and interest."

	******************************

	If you have questions or comments about this LCMSNews release,
contact Joe Isenhower Jr. at joe.isenhower@lcms.org or (314) 996-1231,
or Paula Schlueter Ross at paula.ross@lcms.org or (314) 996-1230.

	******************************

	  This Edition of "LCMS News" e-News is provided by:

	Board for Communication Services, Division of News and
Information
Contact Editor
<http://www.lcms.org/enews/contact_editor.asp?title=LCMS%20News&editorid
=6>

		To subscribe to or unsubscribe from this Newsletter and
many others, please visit LCMS e-News <http://www.lcms.org/enews> .
		Share this Newsletter
<http://www.lcms.org/enews/forward.asp?m=1584>	with a friend.

MessageId=1584
  _____

Design ) Copyright 2003 The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod.
<http://www.lcms.org>
No reproduction without consent. All rights reserved.