From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA, Orthodox Leaders Discuss Wide Range of Issues

From NEWS@ELCA.ORG
Date Mon, 2 Feb 2004 11:05:35 -0600

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

February 2, 2004

ELCA, Orthodox Leaders Discuss Wide Range of Issues
04-013-JB

     ISTANBUL, Turkey (ELCA) -- Relationships domestically and
internationally between Lutherans and Orthodox Christians were
described as "very good" by Lutheran and Orthodox Christian
leaders who met here Jan. 27.  The Lutheran delegation included
leaders of the Chicago-based Evangelical Lutheran Church in
America (ELCA) and the Lutheran World Federation (LWF), based in
Geneva, Switzerland.
     The Lutherans visited here Jan. 26-30 with a variety of
international leaders and theologians of Orthodox Christians.
The Rev. Mark S. Hanson, ELCA presiding bishop and LWF president,
and the Rev. Ishmael Noko, LWF general secretary, headed the
14-member joint ELCA-LWF delegation.  Members of the ELCA
delegation were to have visited here in March 2003, but postponed
the trip because of security concerns related to the start of the
U.S.-led war with Iraq.
     In a meeting that covered a wide range of topics, the
Lutherans met with Orthodox leaders at the offices of the
Ecumenical Patriarchate, home of the international leadership for
Orthodox Christians worldwide.	In the 3 1/2 hour meeting the
church leaders had a frank discussion on such topics as Lutheran-
Orthodox dialogues, Lutheran Church relationships in the United
States, ELCA full-communion relationships, and the ordination of
women and people who are gay and lesbian in committed
relationships.
     His Eminence Metropolitan Athanassios of Helioupolis and
Theira, noted that Hanson's visit here continued a tradition in
which ELCA presiding bishops have visited world Orthodox leaders
in Istanbul. Athanassios is president of the Orthodox Inter-
Church Affairs Synodical Commission.
     "We thank you for these regular visits to the Patriarchate,"
he said.  This meeting was the first in which both the LWF
president and general secretary visited Istanbul together,
Athanassios noted.
     "It is an honor to greet you on behalf of the ELCA and also
on behalf of the LWF," Hanson said.  "We come here to express
gratitude to God for the deepening unity we experience in the
body of Christ.  We come grateful to God for progress in the U.S.
and international Lutheran-Orthodox dialogues."
     The ELCA-LWF visit is in keeping with the historic tradition
of the church, Noko said.  Lutherans and Orthodox Christians
should greet one another as a sign of unity, he added.	Good
relations between Lutherans and Orthodox Christians are possible
because the churches respect one another and one has never
"condemned" the other, Noko said.  The good relationships "give
us a unique ecumenical opportunity," he said.
     In North America an ELCA theological dialogue with Orthodox
Christians is approaching the end of its third round, said the
Rev. Randall R. Lee, director of the ELCA Department for
Ecumenical Affairs.  The two churches have been exploring the
Holy Trinity and the "mystery" of the Christian Church, he said.
     In June, the dialogue participants hope to publish a common
statement and a guidebook for congregations of both religious
traditions to use in conversation, and to encourage common prayer
services, Lee said.  Lee said he was grateful to the Rev. Donald
G. McCoid, co-chair of the U.S. dialogue with Metropolitan
Maximos.  McCoid is bishop of the ELCA Southwestern Pennsylvania
Synod, Pittsburgh. Maximos is bishop of the Greek Orthodox
Diocese of Pittsburgh.
     In addition to the North American dialogue, there is an
international Lutheran-Orthodox theological dialogue.  His
Eminence Metropolitan Gennadios of Sassima, a member of the
Orthodox Inter-Church Affairs Synodical Commission, suggested
there should be better "coordination" of the two dialogues.
Gennadios said such an idea was discussed several years ago, but
has not been discussed much in recent years.
     Hanson pledged there would be a "continuity of topics" in
both dialogues. "I hope my presidency of the LWF will facilitate
the integration of the dialogues and not any unilateral action by
the ELCA," he said in response.  "I hope you hear that
commitment."
     Athanassios asked the ELCA delegation specifically about the
status of the ELCA's full communion relationship with the
Episcopal Church in the wake of its consecration of Bishop Gene
V. Robinson, who is gay and in a committed homosexual
relationship. Under present policy, the ELCA expects that its
pastors refrain from any sexual activity outside of marriage.
     The ELCA is in a study process, examining whether or not to
ordain clergy who are gay or lesbian and in committed homosexual
relationships, and whether it should have a policy on blessing
same-sex relationships.  The church has no formal policy about
blessing of same-sex relationships, though its bishops have
advised the church they do not approve of such ceremonies.
     Hanson told the Orthodox leaders that the full communion
agreement -- "Called to Common Mission" -- states clearly that
each church maintains its own clergy standards.  "We do not
change our standards for ordination because the Episcopal Church
consecrated a gay bishop," Hanson responded.
     "The ELCA is now in a period of study and we are very
mindful that we do not carry out that study in isolation," Hanson
said.  "We are mindful that study and any recommendations from it
impact our global and ecumenical relationships."
     The ELCA and Orthodox leaders briefly discussed the
ordination of women.  The ELCA and its predecessor church bodies
have ordained women for more than 30 years; Orthodox churches do
not.  Gennadios said some Orthodox churches are studying the
issue, mostly in response to questions from other church bodies.
     "There is no request from inside our church for this
(ordination of women)," he said.  "We respond to questions from
outside the church.  The role of women is very different in the
United States compared to Turkey and Greece."
     Other subjects discussed in the meeting were the status of
other ELCA full communion relationships and church-to-church
theological dialogues; relationships between the ELCA and
Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod, Middle East concerns; National
Council of Churches of Christ in the U.S.A. and World Council of
Churches relationships; and the possibility of	a single, common
date for the celebration of Easter by Western and Orthodox
churches.
     Accompanying Hanson, his wife Ione, and Lee on the visit to
Istabul were: the Rev. Lowell G. Almen, ELCA secretary; the Rev.
David E. Jensen, Ascension Lutheran Church, Minocqua, Wis. and
ELCA Church Council member; Kathy J. Magnus, regional officer for
North America, Lutheran World Federation, Chicago; Arthur Norman,
Spanish Fort, Ala.; the Rev. Fred S. Opalinski, Trinity Lutheran
Church, Reading, Pa.; the Rev. Karen S. Parker, assistant to the
bishop, ELCA Pacifica Synod, Yorba Linda, Calif.; the Rev. Paul
A. Schreck, executive assistant, ELCA Office of the Secretary and
associate for bilateral dialogues, ELCA Department for Ecumenical
Affairs, Chicago.
     Representing the LWF were the Rev. Ishmael Noko, general
secretary; Karin Achtelstetter, director, Office for
Communication Services; and Archbishop Georg Kretschmar, co-
president, Lutheran/Orthodox Joint International Commission, St.
Petersburg, Russia.
     Reporting on the trip were Achtelstetter and John R. Brooks,
director for news and media production, ELCA Department for
Communication
 -- -- --
     Information about Lutheran-Orthodox dialogues can be found
on the Department for Ecumenical Affairs home page at
http://www.elca.org/ea on the ELCA Web site.

For information contact:
http://www.elca.org/news