From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Opdyke hired to manage funds campaign

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date Mon, 2 Feb 2004 13:26:55 -0600

Note #8100 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

Opdyke hired to manage funds campaign
04058
February 2, 2004

Opdyke hired to manage funds campaign

Californian was 'acting' director of $40 million mission drive

by Jerry L. Van Marter

LOUISVILLE - Jan Opkyke has been named director of the Mission Initiative:
Joining Hearts and Hands (MIJHH), the campaign to raise $40 million over five
years for PC(USA) missions in the United States and abroad.

	Opdyke has been with the campaign for more than a year. She was hired
initially as associate development director for the Western United States,
and became acting director when Ron Lundeen resigned to take a teaching and
fund-raising position at Hartford Theological Seminary.

	MIJHH was established by the General Assembly of the Presbyterian
Church (USA) in 2002 to support overseas missions and new-church development
and church redevelopment in the United States, especially in racial-ethnic
communities.

	"Jan did such an effective, remarkable job (as acting director) that
it became clear we needed to call off our search," said Bill Saul of Long
Beach, CA, an MIJHH co-chair. "We already had the right person."

	According to Saul, fears that the campaign might stall during the
search were unfounded. Under Opdyke's interim leadership, he said, "We made
significant strides. We didn't want to mess that up."

	John Detterick, executive director of the General Assembly Council,
said Opdyke has a "wealth of experience," including other funds-development
work in the church, most notably in a successful capital campaign for San
Francisco Theological Seminary (SFTS), in which she worked with Saul and
Lundeen.

	"I'm confident that with Jan's leadership, the initiative will be an
absolute success," he said.

	Opdyke, a lifelong Presbyterian and a former small-business owner,
will be based in Redlands, CA, where she lives. She is a graduate of the
University of California at Los Angeles and the University of California at
Riverside, and is completing a degree at SFTS.

	The MIJHH steering committee will gather in San Francisco for a
two-day meeting starting Feb. 3.

	Some information for this article was furnished by Malcolm Logan, the
MIJHH associate development director for the Central United States.