From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

AACC - Decolonisation of African Mind Important

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Mon, 02 Feb 2004 13:49:28 -0800

Mitch Odero - AACC Information Desk
E-mail:  infodesk@aacc-ceta.org
Tel: 254-020-882021/22 (up to February 4th)
Fax: 254-020-4443241/4445835

February 2nd 2004

PRESS RELEASE

Decolonisation of the African mind urgent
By Mitch Odero

Africa must embark on the process of "decolonizing the mind" and regain its
value system if it is to develop.

The President of the All Africa Conference of Churches (AACC) Rev. Dr.
Nyansako-ni-Nku told members of the AACC General Committee today.

During a morning reflection, he noted that "one of the worst things about
colonialism was the way our thinking process was destroyed. Our value
system was completely dismantled and replaced by that of the west."

AACC's General Committee is the policy making organ of the
organization.  Its members are elected from across Africa.

Rev. Nku emphasized that for Africa's development "we need to revisit our
value system so that we can discuss those values that have impeded our
progress" he said noting that Africa "is constantly subjected to cultural
imperialism from the west" through the power of the media.

At another function, the AACC General Secretary Rev. Dr. H. Mvume Dandala
noted that gender inequality was crucial in Africa where women constituted
50 percent of the population, do 60 percent of work, earn one tenth of the
income and own 1/100 of assets as compared to men.

In his welcome address to members of the AACC General Committee (January
31st, 2004), he went on to note that poverty in Africa was growing
horizontally across classes and vertically reaching the ranks of the middle
and upper classes."

The situation he noted, was worsened by what he termed as "globalization of
poverty" brought about by (transitional) "corporate globalization.

For further information contact: