From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

AACC Peace in Somali Sudan imminent says Kenyan Minister

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Mon, 02 Feb 2004 13:52:01 -0800

Mitch Odero - AACC Information Desk
E-mail:  infodesk@aacc-ceta.org
Tel: 254-020-882021/22 (up to February 4th)
Fax: 254-020-4443241/4445835

February 2nd 2004
PRESS RELEASE

Peace in Somali, Sudan imminent says Kenyan Minister
By Mitch Odero

It is by an act of God that peace in Somalia and Sudan is imminent, Kenya's
Minister for Foreign Affairs Mr. Kalonzo Musyoka affirmed on Sunday evening
(February 1, 2004)

Addressing worshippers at a welcome worship for the members of the General
Committee of All Africa Conference of Churches (AACC); the Minister
expressed his confidence that the final peace for the two countries would
be reached within a month.

The worship had been organised by the Kenyan churches and accordingly
attended by the local church leaders and members of the diplomatic
community.  The General Committee is a policy making organ of AACC whose
members hail from across the continent.

Peace talks for the two countries are taking place in Kenya at separate
locations.  The Minister noted that there were only few hurdles to be
overcome.

Mr. Musyoka went on to pay a glowing tribute to AACC for its contribution
to conflict resolutions in Africa.  The only peace that Sudan has
experienced was one brokered by AACC in conjunction with World Council of
churches that came to be known as Addis Ababa peace pact of 1972.  It
lasted for 10 years.

Noting that AACC enjoyed an observer status with the former Organisation of
African Unity (OAU), he said this relations should be continued with
African Union as AACC provides an alternative continental voice.

He recalled that AACC had been known to be vocal in the past on continental
issues and problems adding, "you should reclaim that image and position of
AACC."

In his sermon, the AACC President Rev. Dr. Nyansako-ni-Nku stated that AACC
will "engage the forces of evil" adding that the organization will be
"immersed in the political struggle of our nations and articulate the needs
of the poor and the oppressed who have been pushed to the extreme fringes
of our communities."

He observed that Africa lived in a world characterized by brokenness as a
result of injustice.  He explained; "about 1.5 billion people live in
absolute poverty most of them in Africa yet it would take just about five
percent of the wealth of the richest 225 people in the world to provide
food, shelter, basic healthcare and education to all those who lack access
to these basic needs."

Moving a vote of thanks, the AACC General Secretary Rev. Dr. H. Mvume
Dandala gave the assurance that churches contribution to peace in Sudan and
elsewhere will not reduce.

He went on to stress that churches will also continue to denounce processes
and systems at national, continental and international levels that
perpetuate the poverty of Africa.

Rev. Dandala stressed "as churches, we will continue to lend our hand for
good governance to be achieved in all corners of our continent".

He stated "we will fight corruption, help monitor elections, energise civil
societies for vigilance and engagement for a healthy society, stand firm
against the abuse of women and children as well as against the pillaging of
Africa's resources which has even taken the form of brain drain currently."

For further information contact: