From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: 2005 Biennial Meeting Program Planning Underway

From "SCHRAMM, Richard" <Richard.Schramm@abc-usa.org>
Date Thu, 5 Feb 2004 15:18:14 -0500

American Baptist News Service (Valley Forge, Pa. 2/5/04)--The Biennial
Program Committee, charged with developing thematic and programmatic
elements for the 2005 Biennial Meeting of American Baptist Churches USA,
began its work last weekend in that gathering's host city of Denver, Colo.

In sessions Jan. 30-Feb. 1 the committee affirmed a theme of "Lift Up Your
Eyes" and Scripture text of Psalm 121 for the event, which will run July
1-3, 2005 at the Colorado Convention Center in downtown Denver.

Further development of the program and its specific worship, mission and
business components will be undertaken by the committee and its executive
committee in June in Green Lake, Wis., and in November.

The Denver Biennial Meeting will, among other opportunities, offer a venue
for lifting up the findings and resulting vision of  "Seek It: Finding God's
Way for a New Day."  This unprecedented denomination-wide process of
spiritual discernment, launched late last year, is based on prayer and
conversations with thousands of American Baptists.  It will provide an
opportunity for them to share how God is moving in their lives and
congregations, and to articulate their hopes for American Baptist Churches
USA.

The American Baptist Churches of the Rocky Mountains, one of 35 regions
within American Baptist Churches USA, will host the July 2005 national
gathering.  The region includes 103 congregations and about 28,000 members
in Colorado, Wyoming, New Mexico, eastern Idaho and eastern Utah.
Previously national gatherings of American Baptists in Denver were held in
1919, 1929, 1953 and 1972.

The Rev. H. A. "Hank" Pedersen, pastor emeritus of Shawomet Baptist Church
in Warwick, R.I., is serving as chair of the Biennial Program Committee.
Pedersen, who was Local Arrangements chair for the American Baptist Biennial
Meeting in Providence, R.I., in 2001, said, "The setting of our Biennial,
with the mountains in the background, brought forth the theme of 'Lift Up
Your Eyes.' Our focus Scripture will be the 121st Psalm.  We will be lifting
up our eyes to the reality of where our ABC family is at the present time in
the faith and hope of our Lord and Savior. We will be lifting up our eyes to
our majestic and wonderful God with a special emphasis on prayer. We will be
lifting up our eyes to where our loving God would direct our path in the
future."

Pedersen noted that the gathering will start on Friday afternoon, July 1, at
a time to be confirmed after the next Biennial Program Committee meeting
this June, and will officially end on Sunday evening, July 3, "with a grand
worship and communion service."

"The members of the Biennial Program Committee were thrilled with the
facilities where we will be meeting and the many opportunities for eating,
leisure and recreational activities in Denver and the surrounding area,"
Pedersen said.	"We feel the location of the Denver meeting offers a special
opportunity to plan for a wonderful vacation in addition to having a dynamic
spiritual experience at the Biennial."

Other member of the committee include Keiko Chew, Oakland, Calif.; the Rev.
Herschell Daney, Sand Springs, Okla.; Jessica Echard, Arlington, Va.; Dr.
Priscilla Eppinger, Lamoni, Ia.; Dr. Paul Hayes, Suffield, Ct.; Manuel
Hernandez, Portage, Ind.; Manuel Luquin, San Pedro, Calif.; Sue MacDonald,
Ronks, Pa.; the Rev. Kevin Rose, Indianapolis, Ind.; the Rev. Francine
Stark, Chicago, Ill.; Larry Willison, Canvas, W.V.

Also involved in the planning are Peggy Johnson, president of American
Baptist Churches USA, North Kingston, R.I.; the Rev. Arlee Griffin Jr., vice
president of ABCUSA, Brooklyn, N.Y.; the Rev. Dr. A. Roy Medley, general
secretary of American Baptist Churches USA; Dr. Louise Barger, executive
minister of ABC of the Rocky Mountains; the Rev. Paul A. Martin, pastor of
Macedonia Baptist Church, Denver, and chair of the Local Arrangements
Committee; Chap. Jan McCormack, vice president of ABC of the Rocky
Mountains; and Nicole Kobia, administrative assistant for ABC of the Rocky
Mountains.

Assisting in the planning is a staff advisory group comprised of the Rev.
Beverlee Everett, assistant Biennial program coordinator and General Board
administrator, Office of the General Secretary; Dr. Perry J. Hopper,
associate executive director, The Ministers and Missionaries Benefit Board;
Karen Mason, director of special events and promotion, International
ministries; Laura Miraz, associate executive director/ Missionary Support
Services, National Ministries; Annie Marcucci, director of Travel and
Conference Planning, Office of the General Secretary; and Richard Schramm,
Biennial program coordinator and deputy general secretary for communication,
Office of the General Secretary.  David Greenfield, a layman and former
General Board member from Bloomington, Ill., is serving as production
consultant for the 2005 Biennial Meeting.

K/2004ABNS/04ABN11

American Baptist News Service: Office of Communication, American Baptist
Churches USA, P.O. Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851; (800)ABC-3USA x2077
/ (610)768-2077; fax: (610)768-2320; www.abc-usa.org;
richard.schramm@abc-usa.org