From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

AACC - Divisions of churches is a scandal says AACC President

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2004 15:14:10 -0800

Mitch Odero - AACC Information Desk
E-mail:  infodesk@aacc-ceta.org
Tel: 254-020-882021/22 (up to February 4th)
Fax: 254-020-4443241/4445835

February 4th, 2004

PRESS RELEASE

Divisions of churches is a scandal says AACC President
By Mitch Odero

The disunity of churches remain one of the biggest scandals in the history
of the Christian Church, the President of All Africa Conference of Churches
(AACC) Rev. Dr. Nyansako-Ni-Nku said today.

Delivering his reflections at the AACC General Committee meeting in
Nairobi, he noted "many of us still perpetuate the denominational
prejudices and divisions we inherited from missionaries of the 18th
century.  Most of these divisions were transplanted here (Africa) on our
continent and we who had nothing to do with them, have continued to
propagate and sustain the divisions.

The AACC General Committee is a policy marking organ of the pan-African
Christian (ecumenical) organization with members drawn from across the
continent.  It's five day meeting ends this evening.

Rev. Nku underlined that the world will not believe "us when we advocate
for unity in the secular society when we ourselves are feuding among
ourselves."

Due to the divisions, he went on, so much energy and resources are
dissipated.  "Sometimes in the process of competing for better results,
enmity is even created among God's people."

Some of the manifestations of divisions and competition, he noted, "is
sheep-stealing.  Instead of casting their (churches) nets into the wide
ocean, they prefer to cast their nets inside the boats thus targeting fish
that have already been caught by others," he added.

He asked "why for instance, are the youth and women of our various churches
in a given country not able to meet until there is a big international
assembly."

Rev. Nku urged that National Christians Councils should be structured "to
move away from mere lose associations to active organisations capable of
executing concrete projects of Christian witness and service.

The ecumenical movement "thus seeks to address the scandal of divisions by
providing churches with a basis for common action, "he added.