From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians join NCCC visit to Cuban churches

From "Episcopal News Service" <ens@epicom.org>
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2004 11:01:39 -0500

Monday, February 09, 2004

Episcopalians join NCCC visit to Cuban churches

by Jan Nunley

[Episcopal News Service] Episcopalians were part of a thirty-member
delegation of the National Council of Churches of Christ (USA) invited to
Cuba, January 22-28, 2004. The Rt. Rev. C. Christopher Epting, the Presiding
Bishop's Deputy for Ecumenical and Interfaith Relations, and the Rev. Susanne
Watson Epting, executive director of the North American Association for the
Diaconate, represented the Episcopal Church in a consultation with Cuban
churches on shared concerns and in celebration of the consecration of the new
Greek Orthodox Cathedral of St. Nicholas in Havana.

The first two days were filled with events welcoming the Ecumenical
Patriarch, His All Holiness Bartholomew I, spiritual leader of the world's
250 million Orthodox Christians. These included a strong address by
Bartholomew--sometimes called "The Green Patriarch"--on the environment. This
event was attended by President Fidel Castro as well as hundreds of students,
scientists, religious, and secular leaders.

A cultural evening featuring Greek and Cuban music was followed by a festive
banquet held in the Plaza of St. Francis of Assisi, which, in turn, prepared
the way for a Sunday morning Greek Orthodox Matins, the consecration of St.
Nicholas' Cathedral, and a Patriarchal Divine Liturgy. At the consecration
luncheon at Plaza Vieja, Epting was able to bring greetings and present a
small gift to the patriarch on behalf of Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan
Williams and Presiding Bishop Frank Griswold. Castro was present for the
consecration of St. Nicholas' Cathedral and presented the key to the property
personally to Patriarch Bartholomew.
Struggle and resurrection

On January 26, the delegation attended the Synod of the Presbyterian-Reformed
Church in Cuba, learning about its rich history, struggles during the early
days of the Cuban Revolution, and its resurrection in recent years as
tensions between church and state have eased somewhat. This pattern is the
story of the Episcopal Church as well, according to Bishop Miguel Tamayo of
Uruguay, who is also serving as interim Bishop of Cuba. In practical terms,
the church in Cuba today suffers more from the economic hardships imposed on
the country by the U.S. embargo than from any pressure from the Castro
government, Tamayo said.

Holy Trinity Episcopal Cathedral hosted the next two days' consultation of
the Cuban, Latin American, Caribbean, and National (USA) councils of
churches. Also participating in the event were representatives of the World
Council of Churches, Argentina, Brazil, and Canada. Dean Juan Ramon, his wife
Nirva (who is Canon Pastor of the Cathedral), and several other Episcopalians
joined the Eptings as Anglican participants in this consultation which
focused on shared pastoral concerns of the churches in the context of current
U.S. - Latin American relations.

The Cubans expressed deep concern about the lack of visitation and adequate
pastoral care for five young men (called "the Cuban Five") arrested in Miami
by the FBI and now serving long sentences in US prisons for seeking to
infiltrate Cuban exile groups in Miami. Largely unknown by U.S. citizens,
these men are seen as national heroes by Cubans and celebrated on billboards
across Havana. The NCC delegation listened carefully to these concerns and
shared a similar U.S. perspective that the severity of sentences imposed by
Cuban courts on 75 dissidents in the spring of 2003 was excessive as well.

Fears of 'regime change'

"The most surprising and sobering thing I heard, " said Bishop Epting, "was
the fear expressed by so many in Cuba that the United States may soon stage
an Iraq-style, pre-emptive invasion of Cuba as a next step on the war on
terror, or indeed to force 'regime change'. This is widespread among our
sister and brother Christians and those outside the church and I believe it
is a serious and disturbing consequence of current U.S. foreign policy."

Perhaps the most recurrent theme was a plea for solidarity between Christians
in the Americas to work for an end to the economic embargo on Cuba.
("Blockade" is the term used in Cuba, since "embargo" usually involves one
country's action against another.) The United States' actions against other
countries which trade with Cuba isolates the island still further and lends
some credence to the word "blockade," according to Epting.

Deacon Epting observed that "while the presentation and experiences of Cuban
history, culture, economics and religion were invaluable, the most searing
images were those that had to do with a penetrating vision of churches
together, engaged in diakonia as devotedly as worship, and with prophetic
witness."

"I was most deeply touched by the comments of a Cuban pastor who made it
clear that, 'while we appreciate your willingness to be in solidarity with
us, I speak respectfully from my heart that perhaps it is we who should be in
solidarity with you,'" she said.  "'For if you live in a democracy and have
the power to influence policy, then you hold the future of the world in your
hands.'"

-- The Rev. Jan Nunley is deputy director of Episcopal News Service.