From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Domestic Missionary Partnership transforming mission

From "Episcopal News Service" <ens@epicom.org>
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2004 11:24:46 -0500

Tuesday, February 10, 2004

Domestic Missionary Partnership transforming mission

by Dick Snyder

ENS 021004-1

[Episcopal News Service] The Domestic Missionary Partnership (DMP) is going
through a transformation, and the Episcopal Church is going to benefit,
according to the Rt. Rev. Keith Whitmore, Bishop of Eau Claire.
 "We are the trail blazers" in promoting the mission of the church, said
Whitmore, who is president of the DMP.	"We are the ones doing pioneer work
in the Episcopal Church."

 "We've all got something to learn from each other," he added.

 By working together as partners with an emphasis on mission, and the funding
of mission projects, the member dioceses are going through "a
transformation," he explained.

 "We've been looked upon as the national church's welfare system, and that's
just not who we are," he said.

 DMP is comprised of 11 mostly small and rural dioceses, many of whom
belonged to the former Coalition 14.  The organization disburses base budget
support grants to three dioceses that receive support from the national
church, and also makes grants for mission projects.

 At its annual meeting held Jan. 29-Feb 1 in Burlingame, Calif., DMP dioceses
decided to move away from grants strictly for base budget support and instead
be "a funding vehicle to support mission enterprises."

The mission grants have had significant impact within member dioceses, "and
the wider church needs to know that," said the Rev. Ginny Doctor of Alaska.
"It's pretty awesome."

"We do some good things with what we get," agreed the Rev. Marianne Ell of
North Dakota.\

"We are partners in mission, and we invite others to join us," said the Rt.
Rev. William Gregg, Bishop of Eastern Idaho.  He and several others said they
should encourage new member dioceses to join.

 A new charter adopted at the meeting notes the intention of encouraging new
members.

Developing a sense of partnership within member dioceses, and among member
dioceses, to work on mission projects "could set an example for the church,"
said the Rt. Rev. Katharine Jefferts Schori, bishop of Nevada.

 Whitmore said he was encouraged by the growing sense of the dioceses being
partners in mission.  "There is a strong spiritual component, a common
spirituality about mission that binds this group together," he said.

Gary Hachadourian, a first-time delegate from Navajoland, said he was very
encouraged by the "promise of networking" and in knowing "we are not
isolated."

DMP voted to distribute base budget support of $96,820 to Eastern Oregon,
$45,000 to Eau Claire and $55,000 to Western Kansas.  In addition, special
mission project funding went to Alaska ($10,000 for racism training), Idaho
($3,000 for congregational development), Nevada ($2,000 for help in
converting a rectory into a community center) and North Dakota ($2,160 for
supplies for ministry developers).

The grants total $213,980.  DMP will spend another $30,000 in meeting and
administrative expenses.

Next year's meeting will be held Feb. 3-6 in Boulder City, Nevada.

DMP member dioceses are Eastern Oregon, Western Kansas, Eau Claire,
Navajoland, Alaska, Nevada, North Dakota, Spokane, Idaho, Utah and El Camino
Real.