From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Church World Service helps at-risk Iraqi children

From "NewsDesk" <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2004 10:22:46 -0600

Feb. 10, 2004	News media contact: Linda Bloom7(646) 369-37597New
York7E-mail:  newsdesk@umcom.org ALL-I-RM-YE {048}

NOTE: A map, Web-only photos and two sidebars, UMNS stories #049 and #050,
are available with this report at umns.umc.org.

By United Methodist News Service*

The health of Iraq's children remains at risk but help is being delivered,
according to Rick Augsburger, emergency response director for Church World
Service.

Those offering assistance include the denominational supporters of the "All
Our Children" campaign, which includes the United Methodist Committee on
Relief. Church World Service is the lead agency for the campaign.

Iraqi children suffered terribly for a decade before the conflict in Iraq
because of U.N.-imposed economic sanctions. "Now," said Augsburger, who
visited Iraq in January, "limited access to clean water and sanitation,
poverty, malnutrition and disrupted public health services are continuing to
chip away at the well-being of millions of Iraqi infants and children.

"Health consequences of the war will be felt by its people for years, maybe
generations," he said. "I saw lines of children and mothers waiting for
admission into a CWS-supported clinic to receive basic treatment. A mother
mentioned to me that she was grateful for this assistance, but she was
worried about how she and her family could ever resume a normal life."

Despite increased violence and security challenges to humanitarian workers in
the country, Augsburger said his agency's support for Iraq's children is
continuing.

Since the war's outbreak, Church World Service has directly contributed $1.2
million worth of surgical kit donations to Baghdad hospitals. The agency
shipped more than 30,000 of its health and school kits to Iraq in January,
scheduled for distribution in March. The All Our Children campaign has
provided $604,000 in grants and has programmed $183,000 in material
assistance, primarily medical and hygiene supplies and clean water.

Recent All Our Children projects include a pediatric hospital rehabilitation
in Karbala, a psychosocial theater program for children, and continued
provision of clean drinking water and basic medicine in a slum area.

Besides the United Methodists, other denominations involved in the All Our
Children campaign include the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), Church
of the Brethren, Episcopal Church, Evangelical Lutheran Church in America,
Presbyterian Church USA, Reformed Church in America and United Church of
Christ.

People interested in supporting the All Our Children campaign can contribute
to UMCOR Advance #623225, "Iraq Emergency," and earmark the money for "All
Our Children." Donations can be left in local church offering plates or sent
to UMCOR, 475 Riverside Drive, Room 330, New York, NY 10115. Credit-card
donors can call (800) 554-8583. One hundred percent of all donations will be
used for the campaign.
# # #
*Information for this story was provided by Church World Service.

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org