From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Serious Shrinkage of Congregations Plagues Taiwans Aboriginal

From Taiwan Church News <pctpress@ms1.hinet.net>
Date Wed, 18 Feb 2004 13:51:38 +0800

Churches
Taiwan Church News 2701, 9 through 15 February 2004
Reported by Gu Hao-jan. Translated and Rewritten by David Alexander

According to the 2002 year-end figures, the Presbyterian Church in
Taiwan (PCT) had 216,800 members. When these were compared with those of
the year 2000, the only growth was in the memberships average age. In
other words, the PCT is losing members. The problem is most serious in
Aboriginal churches. Leaders in several Aboriginal presbyteries have
called for renewed efforts to stem the outflow.

The PCT is composed of 1205 congregations organized into 27 judicatories
(presbyteries or special districts). 992 congregations returned annual
statistical report forms for the year 2002. The combined statistics show
that there was numerical growth in 11 judicatories and shrinkage in 16.
Among those with the greatest loss were Central Amis, Eastern Amis,
Western Amis, and Southern Bunun Presbyteries. They reported losses of
up to 10%. The most serious shrinkages were reported in the Hsin Chu
Presbytery and the Pinuyumayan District.

Moderators of many presbyteries say that this sort of shrinkage is
unbearable. Eastern Amis Presbytery moderator, Rev. Icang, has no
definite plan on how to proceed. In fact, he finds the numbers hard to
believe. He said, I dont know why we are losing members. In the past
we have sponsored womens, youth and elderly peoples fellowship groups.
We only hope that devoted believers will once again give themselves to
their churches.

Southern Bunun Presbytery moderator Rev. Chiang feels that since many
young believers have had to leave their hometowns for employment, some
have gone to other churches. In addition, many older members have died.
He believes that the lost members will eventually return to their mother
churches, but has no plan for how to attract them back.

Western Amis Presbytery moderator Rev. Ingay Looh pointed out that
non-PCT churches have great attraction. The PCT, he says, has become
old and grey. These are the reasons why Aborigines leave. He calls on
the PCT to consider how to satisfy the desires of its members. He
believes that the faith as presented by and practiced in the PCT is not
very attractive. Transformation is needed. If the church cannot satisfy
the desires of its membership, it will not attract anyone new.

Ingay Looh believes that since other churches have changed with the
times, the PCT cannot be inflexible, but elastic. He asserts the need
for modernization and the acceptance of ideas and methods from outside.
He calls for humble repentance of errors in church methods and practices
and a gradual acceptance of outside influences towards transformation.

He asserts that the changes must begin within the church, in the way
things are envisioned and led. Renewal includes foundational policies.
So the most important and far-reaching reforms must begin within local
churches themselves. Taking care of our own houses first can influence
change in the PCT as a whole.

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwans local languages.
Visit our web site: www.pctpress.com.tw