From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: ABCUSA Leaders Respond to SBC Proposed Withdrawal from BWA

From "SCHRAMM, Richard" <Richard.Schramm@abc-usa.org>
Date Thu, 19 Feb 2004 15:05:44 -0500

American Baptist News Service (Valley Forge, Pa. 2/19/04)--American Baptist
leaders have responded with sorrow and deep concern to actions by the
Southern Baptist Convention this week that have moved the SBC closer to
withdrawal from the Baptist World Alliance.

The Executive Committee of the Southern Baptist Convention voted
overwhelmingly Feb. 16 to withdraw SBC membership and funding from the
Baptist World Alliance. The Executive Committee proposal will be presented to
SBC messengers at their meeting this June. If approved the action would
remove as of Oct. 1 the remaining $300,000 of annual SBC support for the BWA.

The BWA, which will celebrate its centennial next year, represents 43 million
Baptists through 211 Baptist unions worldwide, including American Baptist
Churches USA.

The Executive Committee vote (62-10) to approve the recommendation of an SBC
study committee came despite a steady stream of calls from Baptist leaders
around the world urging the SBC to reconsider its proposed withdrawal.

According to an Associated Baptist Press report, an hour-long debate on the
subject was limited to Executive Committee members only and BWA General
Secretary Denton Lotz was not permitted to speak to the recommendation.  "We
are, of course, very sad," Lotz told Associated Baptist Press after the vote.
"Any time there is a breach in fellowship, it is sad."

As it moved to recommend SBC separation from BWA ministries, the Executive
Committee approved formation of a new worldwide network of "conservative
evangelical Christians."

The SBC study committee had cited what it perceived as liberalism within BWA
as the basis for its recommendation.  Many see the action in part as a
response to the BWA's decision last year to admit into membership the
Cooperative Baptist Fellowship, an organization of churches formed by
Southern Baptists dissatisfied with the SBC's fundamentalist leadership and
direction.

"The BWA rejects categorically this false accusation of liberalism," Lotz
said in December. "Of course, there is a spectrum of theological thought in
all of our conventions, just as in local churches, but we belong to one
another because we belong to Christ."

American Baptist Churches USA General Secretary the Rev. Dr. A. Roy Medley
expressed his "deep sorrow at the action of the Executive Committee of the
SBC to endorse pulling out of the Baptist World Alliance."  He noted:
"Together with other Baptist leaders around the world I am deeply distressed
by the characterization of the BWA which the study committee and Executive
Committee have used as a reason for the SBC's departure from this great
global body of Baptist believers.  This represents a wounding of the
worldwide Baptist family by one of the historic partners in BWA life."

The Rev. Rothang Chhangte, director of Ecumenical Formation for American
Baptist Churches USA, also responded to the SBC Executive Committee action:
"I am deeply saddened by the news of the proposed SBC withdrawal from the
BWA.  The Southern Baptists have historically played a major role in shaping
the BWA and in helping Baptists around the world feel connected to a larger
body of Christian believers.  It is indeed a sad day when the largest body of
Baptists wishes to no longer associate with other Baptists.  I feel this
severing of ties like a deep wound being inflicted on the body of Christ.  I
encourage all our churches to meditate on the image of the broken body of
Christ during the Lenten season this year and to pray for healing and
reconciliation."

K/2004ABNS/04ABN14

American Baptist News Service: Office of Communication, American Baptist
Churches USA, P.O. Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851; (800)ABC-3USA x2077
/ (610)768-2077; fax: (610)768-2320; www.abc-usa.org;
richard.schramm@abc-usa.org