From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Task force asked to develop model of dialogue

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date Fri, 20 Feb 2004 12:12:21 -0600

Note #8135 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

Task force asked to develop model of dialogue
04096
February 20, 2004

Task force asked to develop model of dialogue

Moderator sees need for 'simple process' large and small groups can use

by Jerry L. Van Marter

DALLAS - Saying that "a cloud is hanging over the Presbyterian Church (USA),"
General Assembly Moderator Susan Andrews urged the Theological Task Force on
the Peace, Unity and Purity of the Church (TTF) on Feb. 19 to develop a model
to help congregations, presbyteries and synods engage in dialogue about
divisive issues facing the church.

"Fear, mistrust, anger and avoidance ... (of) the issues that divide us are
inhibiting the creativity and energy that's out there (in the church),"
Andrews said. "In your interim report, please strongly urge a simple process
that any group - large or small - can use, not to argue or agree, but to
understand."

The TTF was created by the 2001 General Assembly and charged "to lead the
Presbyterian Church (USA) in spiritual discernment of our Christian identity
in and for the 21st century." The task force was assigned four specific
topics - Christology, Biblical authority and interpretation, ordination
standards and power. It is scheduled to make an interim report to the
upcoming 216th General Assembly in Richmond, VA, and to deliver its final
report to the Assembly in 2006.

"The dialogue we all hope for is not happening around the church," the
moderator said. "People are usually talking with people with whom they agree.
We desperately need structured dialogue across the lines that divide."

One problem Andrews said she has encountered is that Presbyterians are
willing to share their thoughts about ordination standards privately, but
"will not speak publicly because they are afraid for their jobs, for their
churches, for their friendships."

Some threaten to leave the denomination if the constitutional ban on the
ordination of sexually active gays and lesbians is lifted, while others
threaten to leave if the ban remains in place. "The bombs being thrown across
the theological lines are not 'the provisional demonstration of the kingdom
of God,'" Andrews said, referring to one of the six "great ends of the
church."

In her travels as moderator, she said, she has been "excited and uplifted by
the strength of the churches and the vitality of their mission," but has come
to believe that the church is "being hampered by the logjam of these divisive
issues."

"I don't want to put too much pressure on you," she told the task force
members, "but I believe the Holy Spirit has called this incredible group of
people together to lead our church out of this."