From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Disciples News Brief 2/20/04

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Fri, 20 Feb 2004 15:40:15 -0800

Disciples News Brief 2/20/04
Disciples News Service
Christian Church (Disciples of CHrist)
Amy Shockley
317-713-2495
www.disciples.org

February 20, 2004

Dear Disciples:

I pray that our Savior, Jesus Christ, is with you today and every day.
His love gives meaning to life, and no matter what happens in our lives,
we take strength from the sure knowledge that this love undergirds us.

I write to share several thoughts in view of the voluntary filing for
Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection by the National Benevolent Association.
This is indeed difficult news for our Disciples' family, but as
believers we know that we are uplifted by the grace of God.

Chapter 11 is a legal mechanism for court-supervised reorganization of
an organization's debt obligations. It provides an organization, such as
NBA, time to restructure its debts with a goal of allowing for the
continuation of the organization's mission.

It is important that our prayers continue for NBA. As a general
ministry of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), NBA provides
essential servant ministry and we would be terribly diminished by its
absence. My hope is that NBA's ministry grows even stronger in the
coming years. I am convinced that God can use these events to bring this
about.

In the practice and polity of Disciples, each of our ministries:
congregations, regions, institutions of higher education and general
ministries, maintain organizational and financial independence from each
other. This is our historic tradition. Toward that end, as a
denomination we have agreed to share financial information to allow
faithful understanding for each entity, but each ministry is fully
accountable to its own board of directors/trustees.  I believe NBA's
experience calls us to increase our care for all of the ministries to
which God calls us.

The writings of Paul in 1 Corinthians 12, reminds us: "We are one
body." In the end, we cannot be spiritually separated.	We love and
support those who are distressed by these events, whether residents,
staff or supporters of NBA. We anticipate the day when, by God's power
and our willing discipleship as faithful stewards, NBA and every other
part of our church will be able to do its full ministry.

Please continue to pray for NBA, and indeed, for the whole church. God
is able to see us through this time because God's power is greater than
all of the obstacles that seek to stand in the way of God's realm. I
believe, because of God's might and because so many of us love this
church passionately, we will sustain and grow our mission to be a church
of "true community, deep spirituality and a passion for justice."  As we
Disciples move further into the 21st century, God has claimed us to do
the strongest ministry in our history.

In Christ's service,

William Chris Hobgood,
General Minister and President,
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)

P.S. Please share this message with your brothers and sisters through
your congregational newsletter, worship bulletin, or electronic
communications, as well as boards and/or councils, Sunday School classes
or other church organizations. Electronic versions of this pastoral
letter are available on the web at:
http://www.disciples.org/dns/Releases2004/0414.htm.  For ongoing
updates from NBA, go to: www.nbacares.org.

wfn