From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: International Ministries Issues Update on Haiti

From "SCHRAMM, Richard" <Richard.Schramm@abc-usa.org>
Date Tue, 24 Feb 2004 12:51:23 -0500

by Eleanor Lundy, American Baptist International Ministries

American Baptist News Service (Valley Forge, Pa. 2/24/04)--Rebel leaders in
Cap Haitian, Haiti, have asked that businesses remain open as usual today and
that radio stations resume broadcasting, according to American Baptist
missionary Herb Rogers, a member of International Ministries' Crisis
Intervention Team.

Although phone service has been temporarily interrupted, International
Ministries is maintaining contact with American Baptist missionaries in Haiti
several times a day via e-mail. Rogers has reported that all missionary
personnel are safe and continuing to serve in their respective ministries,
although hampered by fuel shortages and limited availability of
transportation.

"We ask American Baptists to continue to lift up God's servants--our
missionaries and our Haitian partners in ministry--as well as all of the
people of Haiti, to the throne of grace," said the Rev. Hictor Cortez,
executive director of International Ministries.

For daily updated information about the situation in Haiti call
1-800-ABC-3USA/ext. 2181.

K/2004ABNS/04ABN21

American Baptist News Service: Office of Communication, American Baptist
Churches USA, P.O. Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851; (800)ABC-3USA x2077
/ (610)768-2077; fax: (610)768-2320; www.abc-usa.org;
richard.schramm@abc-usa.org