From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Music director makes room for everyone's song at assembly

From "NewsDesk" <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Mon, 1 Mar 2004 13:03:41 -0600

March 1, 2004  News media contact: Kathy L. Gilbert7(615)742-54707Nashville,
Tenn. 7E-mail: newsdesk@umcom.org7ALL-I{082}

NOTE: Audio, video and a sidebar, UMNS story #093, are available with this
feature at http://umns.umc.org.

A UMNS Feature
By Kathy L. Gilbert*

The opening worship service of the 2004 General Conference will literally
start with a bang.

Four different drum groups will begin the General Conference - a start that
will be "really symbolic of the ways in which we will gather the whole world
around us," says the Rev. Barbara Day Miller, music director for General
Conference.

She sees the opening as one of the "wow" moments of General Conference.

"This is going to be a highly visual worship experience," she says.  Bishops
are being invited to dress in their country's traditional attire, and dancers
will be dressed "in the costume of the world," she says.

Red streamers, symbolizing the sign of the spirit, and banners will be
carried in as the drummers beat out the welcome. General Conference, which
convenes every four years, is the top policy-making body of the United
Methodist Church.

"I just really think when all this comes together in this great 'alleluia,'
that people really will be aware that they are a part of something great in
the whole world and that it's all gathered for this moment," Day Miller says.

For the 2004 General Conference, 998 delegates from all of the U.S. annual
(regional) conferences and the church's central conferences in Africa, Asia
and Europe will converge on Pittsburgh April 27-May 7. The event will draw
numerous additional church leaders, media representatives and other visitors.

Planning the General Conference worship services has been Day Miller's
passion since being named music director in spring 2002. She has listened to
more than 120 audition tapes from groups around the world and has selected
about 60 groups to perform during the two-week conference.

One of her concerns was finding a way to represent the whole church, she
says. Her prayer is that General Conference will be a time "where we make
space for everybody's song."

"And I use that to also mean to make space for each other, individually and
culturally, to be able to see when we all gather, the real diversity of the
people called United Methodists," she said.

She is responsible for coordinating music for the 10 worship services, the
daily communion services and various other events.

"It was very important that there be a real range of different styles of
groups, different styles of music, different languages of singing, different
configurations," she says. Whether that has meant incorporating a brass
group, jazz ensemble or liturgical dance group, she wants to ensure that the
worship reflects a "full range of expression," she said.

Ticking off some of the planned performances, she notes a mass youth choir; a
mass children's choir beginning with first graders; at least two different
dance days; a brass ensemble; a full orchestra; a jazz group; contemporary
praise bands; and a gospel choir. "There's a choir of women coming from
Russia, and ... many more," she says.

Day Miller, who is assistant dean of worship and lecturer in liturgical
practices at United Methodist-related Candler School of Theology in Atlanta,
will also be bringing a group of 10 students from Candler to serve as the
resident singing group during the two-week conference.

"I think my work here at Candler has a lot to do with preparing me because we
are a really diverse seminary and truly ecumenical as well as truly
Methodist," she says.

Day Miller has been involved in other large worship events, such as the
United Methodist Clergywomen Gathering in San Diego a couple of years ago,
which meant planning multiple services a day. She also coordinated worship
services for "Exploration," the international youth gathering, and she
planned the annual conference in North Georgia.

So far it has taken "eight notebooks and wonderful volunteers who are
fearless" to organize this undertaking, she says.

"It takes a high level of organization and also a sense of humor," she says.
"We really are gathering with a sense of joy. We know we will be blessed in
our efforts."

One of the blessings, she says, has been talking to so many talented United
Methodists across the connection who are eager to be at General Conference.

"These people are essentially involved in a sacrificial kind of giving in
order to come," she says. "I mean, there is no money to bring choirs in. All
these people are earning their own way to the General Conference. And the
fact that they all really want to come and gather and give this gift in
worship is great joy."
# # #
*Gilbert is a United Methodist News Service news writer based in Nashville,
Tenn.

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org