From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

WCC: US churches advocacy work

From "WCC Media" <Media@wcc-coe.org>
Date Fri, 05 Mar 2004 18:03:10 +0100

World Council of Churches
News Flash NF-05-03-04
For immediate release 5.03.2004

US churches on the leading edge of advocacy work, WCC general secretary says

"The vitality and creativity of peace and justice work in the United States
is a resource for the global ecumenical family," the general secretary of the
World Council of Churches (WCC) Rev. Dr Samuel Kobia told some 600
representatives of US churches and faith-based organizations.

Speaking at the opening of the second annual Ecumenical Advocacy Days for
Global Peace with Justice, 5-8 March in Washington, DC - an initiative
sponsored by a broad range of churches and church-related organizations - the
WCC general secretary told the gathering that "in many ways you have been on
the leading edge of advocacy work."

In that context, Kobia explained, the 2004 focus on the US of the WCC's
Decade to Overcome Violence is "an opportunity to highlight the contributions
which US churches and movements have made to the cause of peace", as well as
an occasion for churches worldwide to express solidarity with churches in the
United States.

"We know it is not easy speaking truth to power in the United States these
days. But we want you to know that we are with you. We hope that you feel the
support of the global ecumenical fellowship of churches worldwide as you
conduct your advocacy for a better world," Kobia said.

He also shared with the gathering his dream of a new US foreign policy "based
on peace-making", which he defined in the words of the general secretary of
the US National Council of Churches, Rev. Bob Edgar, as "internationally
engaged," and "committed to collective security through arms control,
deterrence, disarmament and international cooperation".

Recalling that nuclear disarmament has been a priority for the WCC since its
outset, Kobia welcomed the initiative "A moral appeal for a safer world
without nuclear weapons," to be launched by US religious, scientific and
medical leaders in the context of the Advocacy Days. "We welcome this
initiative and hope that you will give this appeal the strongest possible
support," he said.

Spiritual discernment and global fellowship

Kobia also emphasized two particular gifts that churches bring to advocacy
work: spiritual discernment and the fact that they belong to a global
Christian fellowship. "The quest for spiritual discernment must be at the
centre of our advocacy. () It must be the basis for our words and our
actions," said Kobia.

As evidence, the WCC general secretary enumerated a list of "people whose
witness has been clearly centered in their spirituality", like Martin Luther
King Jr. whose witness, he said, "is one of the most dramatic and influential
gifts the United States has given to the world, and especially to the
oppressed of this world".

According to Kobia, spiritual discernment gives Christians "strength,
conviction, and the courage to withstand the harsh realities of power" at a
time when "the forces for war and oppression are ascendant". While "in 2004,
working for peace and justice in the halls of power in the United States is
exhausting work", a spiritual perspective gives to Christians "the courage to
hope".

Spiritual discernment allows Christians engaged in advocacy efforts also "to
step back from the immediate issues and to see the larger picture," and to
make "a particular contribution" centered in values and principles. Political
leaders are increasingly "turning to churches for guidance, for ethical
reflection, for a moral grounding on the burning issues of the day", Kobia
said.

The second particular gift churches bring to advocacy work is being part of a
global Christian community. In order to link the grassroots with the national
and international levels at which advocacy is conducted, "churches are truly
in a unique position" since they are "an incredible network of Christians
striving to follow the values of the Gospel in every corner of the globe," he
said.

By channeling the concerns of the global church into effective advocacy at
the national and international levels, the global Christian community can
change policies. "I encourage you to reach out to your brothers and sisters
in other parts of the world - to hear their stories, to listen to their
cries, to channel these hopes and dreams into effective work in the halls of
power," Kobia challenged the audience.

Sponsored by a coalition of 26 churches and religious groups, the Ecumenical
Advocacy Days for Global Peace with Justice are focusing on four regions of
the world - Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Middle East - and on trade
and debt issues and nuclear disarmament.

Sessions on 5, 6 and 7 March are taking place at the Doubletree Hotel in
Crystal City, Virginia, and on 8 March at the Lutheran Church of the
Reformation on Capitol Hill in Washington. The theme of the Advocacy Days is:
"I Will Feed Them with Justice," a quotation from the book of the prophet
Ezekiel.

All sessions of the conference are open to the media and interviews can be
arranged by contacting:
Kirsten Anderson-Stembridge +1 202 669 4712
Mark Brown +1 301 706 4110

Additional information available at: www.advocacydays.org

For more information contact:
Media Relations Office
tel: (+41 22) 791 64 21 / (+41 22) 791 61 53
e-mail:media@wcc-coe.org
http://www.wcc-coe.org