From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Africa University to install new chancellor

From "NewsDesk" <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Tue, 9 Mar 2004 12:47:07 -0600

March 9, 2004 News media contact: Linda Green 7 (615)742-5470 7 Nashville,
Tenn. 7 E-mail: newsdesk@umcom.org 7 ALL-AF-AA-YE-I{097}

NOTE: A head-and-shoulders photo of Bishop Nkulu Ntanda Ntambo is available
at http:umns/umc.org.

A UMNS Report
By Linda Green*

Africa University's newest leader has a vision for extending the school into
other countries and helping it promote moral and economic growth on the
continent.

Bishop Nkulu Ntanda Ntambo of the Democratic Republic of the Congo is the new
chancellor of Africa University and the new chairman of its board of
directors. The board elected him last November and he will be formally
installed March 10.

"It was a surprise to me, being from a French-speaking country, to be elected
chancellor of an institution in Zimbabwe, which is an English-speaking
country," Ntambo, 56, said in an e-mail to United Methodist News Service.  He
serves the denomination's North Katanga Area in the Democratic Republic of
the Congo.

Ntambo called his election proof of the university's mission of promoting
pan-Africanism. "The fact that Zimbabwe hosts this institution and does not
exclude the other African countries (from) participating in its welfare (is)
good proof of unity through diversity," he said.

"My election as chancellor of Africa University was a great honor to me as an
individual and to my country to be lifted up to such a position. Africa
University is a real symbol of unity for African people," Ntambo said.

Ntambo "is not a novice in leadership," said Rukudzo Murapa, vice chancellor
at Africa University. "He grew up in the church (and) has served the United
Methodist Church well. ... We are delighted that he understands its
structures, rules and regulations."

The bishop has exhibited "enormous commitment" during his two years as a
member of the board, Murapa said.

The 30-member board guides policy and overall development of Africa
University, and comprises individuals from churches, church agencies, higher
education, business and industry from Africa, Europe and the United States.

Ntambo wants to strengthen the school's ties by working hand in hand with
United Methodist churches in America, Africa and throughout the world, as
well as with churchwide agencies that can help the university be a "new way
to change the world."
The bishop said Africa University has significant meaning for him. In
addition to describing it as a place of hope for a new generation of African
children, he called it proof of the commitment of people of good will
worldwide who "think for the good ... of the African continent." He said the
university is "an answering prayer from the living God of Abraham, Moses,
David - our God."

Africa University began as the dream of Bishop Joseph Crane Hartzell, who
stood on Chiremba Mountain above Old Mutare, Zimbabwe, in 1898, and
envisioned hundreds of African young people in the valley below running to
school with books in their hands.  In 1984, two African bishops, Emilio Julio
Miguel de Carvalho of Angola and Arthur Kulah of Liberia, issued the call to
create Africa University. Increased access to higher education was key, they
said, to peace, stability and development in Africa.

Ntambo sees his mission as continuing the vision of Africa University's
founders. He wants the 11-year-old university to be seen as a model
institution in the forefront of Africa's schools.

"My vision is to see Africa University contribute to the promotion of moral,
spiritual, physical, intellectual, social, cultural, political and economic
growth of the African continent," he said.  "I see Africa University
contributing to providing a new class of leaders in Africa for the
development of the continent (and) I see Africa University opening itself to
the world."

Currently 1,283 students from 25 African countries are enrolled in Africa
University's bachelor's and master's degree programs in agriculture, the arts
and social sciences, business, education and theology. Academic and community
service programs are also offered through the Institute of Peace, Leadership
and Governance and its outreach office. The university launched its sixth
faculty, health sciences, this year.

Ntambo completed elementary and secondary school in Kabonga and Lubumbashi
and attended seminary in Mulungwishi. He received a master of divinity degree
from Nairobi (Kenya) International School of Theology and has served at
local, district and conference levels of the United Methodist Church in the
Congo, formerly Zaire, since 1971.  He started nearly 157 churches in the
region of Bukuma and Lubudi and opened two congregations in Nairobi. He is
married to Nshima Nkulu and is the father of eight children.

Ntambo, who took office Nov. 18, succeeds de Carvalho, who retired after
serving the pan-African University for 11 years and was Angola's first United
Methodist indigenous bishop. He was elected to the episcopacy in 1972 and
retired from active episcopal duties in 2000.

During a recent retirement celebration, de Carvalho expressed gratitude for
the opportunity to serve Africa University. He described the university as
one of the most exciting projects implemented by the United Methodist Church.
Though retired, he said he would continue working for the development of the
African continent. The university bestowed on de Carvalho the chancellor
emeritus title in recognition of his work.

# # #

*Green is a United Methodist News Service news writer in Nashville, Tenn.

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org