From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: International Ministries Expresses Grief and Support for Those Affected in Madrid Terrorist Attacks

From "SCHRAMM, Richard" <Richard.Schramm@abc-usa.org>
Date Fri, 12 Mar 2004 13:22:37 -0500

by Eleanor Lundy, American Baptist International Ministries

American Baptist News Service (Valley Forge, Pa. 3/12/04)--American Baptist
International Ministries' leaders have expressed their sympathy and support
for those affected by the bombing of several trains by terrorists in Madrid,
Spain, yesterday.

"It is with a profound sense of shock and pain that we have learned of these
tragic events," said the Rev. Hictor Cortez, International Ministries'
executive director. Cortez said he has been notified that neither American
Baptist missionaries serving in Spain nor national Spanish Baptist partners
were harmed in the attacks.

In a message to Manuel Sarrias Martinez, general secretary of the Union of
Evangelical Baptists of Spain, Reid Trulson, International Ministries' area
director for Europe and the Middle East, wrote, "We join you in mourning the
death and injury of so many innocent people. Please know that we hold these
victims, their families and the people of Spain in our prayers. In prayer we
ask the Spirit of God to anoint the churches of the Union of Evangelical
Baptists of Spain with great compassion and power. With a renewed strength
that comes from above, may you bring to those around you the good news of
forgiveness, salvation and healing in Jesus Christ our Lord."  Trulson noted
that American Baptists had been encouraged by the support of many global
partners after the terrorist attacks on the U.S. on September 11, 2001.

Sarrias responded that Spanish Baptists share a deep sense of shock and
sadness, and have joined together with other evangelical Christians in Spain
to publicly denounce the use of violence by any means.

The Rev. Raul Ruiz, International Ministries' area director for Spain and
Portugal, said, "We are saddened and shocked by the horrible and senseless
acts committed against the people of Spain. We have been in contact with our
Baptist brothers and sisters in Spain and have shared with them our concern
and our willingness to help. Please pray for them as they face the difficult
task of being light in the midst of so much darkness."

In a message written from Madrid to International Ministries, American
Baptist missionary Samuel Escobar noted that it is believed no one related to
the Baptist Seminary at Madrid was hurt in the bombings. Escobar said the
seminary community gathered this morning for a time of prayer, and later went
as a group to the city hall to participate in a quiet demonstration against
terrorism. "We thank God for protection, and we ask your prayers that God's
people may be able to offer comfort and help to the many hurting people in
this country," he said.

K/2004ABNS/04ABN35

American Baptist News Service: Office of Communication, American Baptist
Churches USA, P.O. Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851; (800)ABC-3USA x2077
/ (610)768-2077; fax: (610)768-2320; www.abc-usa.org;
richard.schramm@abc-usa.org