From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Bishops Learn of Communication Plans for Sexuality Studies

From NEWS@ELCA.ORG
Date Mon, 22 Mar 2004 13:59:35 -0600

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

March 22, 2004

ELCA Bishops Learn of Communication Plans for Sexuality Studies
04-044-JB

     WOODLAND HILLS, Calif. (ELCA) -- Leaders of the Evangelical
Lutheran Church in America's (ELCA) Studies on Sexuality want
church members and clergy "to be secure in their information
level" as the study process moves toward development of
recommendations for consideration by the 2005 ELCA Churchwide
Assembly, said the Rev. Rebecca S. Larson, executive director,
ELCA Division for Church in Society (DCS).
     The leaders want plenty of communication with the church so
that there will be "no surprises" and "maximum transparency," by
sharing as much information as is possible, Larson said in a
report to the Conference of Bishops, which met here March 4-10.
     The ELCA is organized into 65 synods, each headed by a
bishop. The ELCA Conference of Bishops is an advisory body of the
church, consisting of the church's synod bishops, presiding
bishop and secretary.
     The 2001 ELCA Churchwide Assembly mandated the study process
in preparation for decisions the 2005 assembly is to make on
whether or not people in committed homosexual relationships
should be ordained and whether or not the ELCA should have an
official policy on blessing of committed same-gender
relationships.	In addition, the study is to develop a proposed
social statement on human sexuality for the assembly to consider
in 2007.
     Current ELCA policy expects ministers to refrain from all
sexual relations outside marriage.  The church has no official
policy on blessing same-gender relationships.  In 1993 the ELCA
Conference of Bishops stated it does not approve of such
ceremonies.
     Churchwide assemblies are held every other year; the 2005
assembly will be Aug. 8-14, 2005, in Orlando, Fla.
     Both DCS and the ELCA Division for Ministry are working
together as the churchwide units directly responsible for
directing the studies, Larson said.  She said the bishops play "a
very critical role ... in the next 16 months in communicating"
information about the studies.	She urged the bishops widely
distribute a series of upcoming e-mail updates on the studies to
other professional leaders in the church.
     "We know there is much anxiety, and we promise we will work
to relieve the anxiety," Larson pledged.
     The Rev. Margaret G. Payne, bishop of the ELCA New England
Synod and chair of the task force for the ELCA Studies on
Sexuality, said study materials intended to help congregations
participate in the sexuality studies have been reprinted twice
and many more have been downloaded from the Web.  The materials
are also being used by congregations of the Episcopal Church,
Payne said.  Last summer, that denomination confirmed the
election of a bishop who is in a committed homosexual
relationship, creating controversy within the Episcopal Church.
     On April 15 leaders of the ELCA Studies on Sexuality will
meet with ecumenical representatives in Chicago about the
progress of the ELCA's work, she said.	Some hearings on the
studies are being planned throughout the ELCA, Payne said.  The
first hearings are March 27 at Faith Lutheran Church, Castro
Valley, Calif., and at King of Kings Lutheran Church, Fairfax,
Va.
     Payne said the task force's October 2004 meeting is
"pivotal" because at that meeting the task force will begin
considering proposals for resolutions to be considered at the
2005 ELCA Churchwide Assembly.
     Payne said she hoped people in the church could be
"transformed" by the sexuality studies process -- not to change
their opinions but to be more open to listening to one another
with a new respect.
     "People are finding new hope, and we could be transformed in
this," Payne said.
     Following their regular meeting, the Conference of Bishops
adjourned to a one-day retreat -- closed to media and the public
-- to discuss the sexuality issues within the church.  The
conference issued a brief public statement following the retreat.
     "We affirm the process of deliberation and the ongoing work
of the task force for the ELCA Studies on Sexuality," the
statement said. "We have participated in the study, Journey
Together Faithfully, Part II.  We are colleagues with varying
convictions, and our study, prayer and deliberations added depth
and insight to our continuing reflection and discernment.  We
have been enriched by our conversations and time together.  We
encourage the leaders and congregations of this church in their
study and conversation."
     "We are committed to the unity Christ gives this church,"
the statement continued.  "We believe our differences do not
prevent us from a common commitment to the proclamation of the
Gospel of Jesus Christ and the upbuilding of this church, now and
in the years ahead."
 -- -- --
     Information about the ELCA Studies on Sexuality -- including
confirmed dates for hearings -- is at
http://www.elca.org/faithfuljourney/ on the ELCA Web site.

For information contact:
http://www.elca.org/news