From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Dammann verdict: What happens next?

From "NewsDesk" <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Mon, 22 Mar 2004 19:02:27 -0600

March 22, 2004	 News media contact: Tim Tanton7(615)742-54707Nashville,
Tenn. 7 E-mail: newsdesk@umcom.org 7 ALL-GBLT{118}

NOTE: Photographs and sidebars, UMNS stories #119 and #120, are available at
http://umns.umc.org. The full text of Bishop Elias Galvan's statement follows
this story.

By Lynne DeMichele and Kim Riemland*

BOTHELL, Wash. (UMNS) - For the Rev. Karen Dammann, her acquittal on the
charge that she broke church law means she can remain in ministry - a calling
she first heard as a child.

It also means that she will return to active ministry, after going on family
leave March 1. For the 10 million-member United Methodist denomination, the
ruling has ignited strong reactions that will reverberate in the global
church's legislative meeting next month.

On March 20, a church trial court of 13 fellow pastors found that while
Dammann was a "self-avowed practicing homosexual," she was not guilty of the
single charge against her: that of "practices declared by the United
Methodist Church to be incompatible with Christian teachings." Eleven members
voted not guilty and two were undecided; no one voted guilty. Nine guilty
votes were required to convict.

"I'm in good standing," said a smiling Dammann at a news conference following
the verdict. "I never had my doubts that God was in this process." Her
partner of nine years, Meredith Savage, was at her side.

But even Dammann knows the verdict could further divide a church that has
long wrestled with the issue of homosexuality and the role of gays in
ministry.

"For the church, it means another level of struggle. I'm mindful of that,"
Dammann acknowledged. "It's going to be painful."

Beginning April 27, the General Conference, the church's elected legislative
branch, will meet in Pittsburgh to debate church policies and laws. Nearly
1,000 delegates from around the world will revise the United Methodist law
book, the Book of Discipline. It is the very book that the Dammann trial
court ruled does not clearly declare the practice of homosexuality to be
incompatible with Christian teachings.

After acquitting Dammann, a member of the trial court read a statement
explaining the decision, noting that even the jurors were divided on that
point. "We, as the trial court, are far from unanimous regarding biblical and
theological understandings," the statement said.

The pivotal issue came down to a lack of a declarative statement in the Book
of Discipline.

"We searched the Discipline and did not find a declaration that 'the practice
of homosexuality is incompatible with Christian teachings,' the statement
read. Although the jurors found passages containing the "incompatible..."
phrasing, they said they "did not find that any of them constitute a
declaration" that homosexuality is a chargeable offense.

Instead, trial court members pointed to other statements that are clearly
declarative, such as: "Inclusiveness means openness, acceptance and support
that enables all persons to participate in the life of the church, the
community and the world. Thus, inclusiveness denies every semblance of
discrimination." (Section 6 of The Ministry of all Christians, section VI
"Called to Inclusiveness," Paragraph 138, p. 93.)

With a United Methodist clergy trial, the respondent, or defendant, has the
right to appeal, but the church does not. In a statement to clergy and
members of the Pacific Northwest Annual (regional) Conference, Bishop Elias
Galvan said the church followed its processes "sometimes painstakingly."

"Every appeal in this case has been exhausted," said Galvan, who filed the
original complaint in 2001 that eventually led to the trial. "In our church,
we recognize and respect the decision of the trial court."

Galvan noted that the verdict would not resolve the conflict in the church.

In a post-trial press conference, Galvan told reporters that "yes, we're not
of one mind on this issue." Nevertheless, he said, "We have followed
carefully the Discipline and ... the jury has rendered a verdict, and we must
accept it." He went on to say that Dammann is "a respected member of this
conference, and it's been painful for me to see her struggle through this
difficult process."

Reactions to the verdict

"We will not be the same as we were last week," said the Rev. James
Finkbeiner, counsel for the church, after the trial. Finkbeiner presented the
case against Dammann.

He believes the acquittal will increase the intensity of debate about
homosexuality and how church law deals with it when General Conference meets
next month. "I think it will be a lively issue. ... Maybe it (the verdict)
will add a greater motivation."

Howie Schwend, a retired airline pilot and a lay member of the Pacific
Northwest Conference who attended the trial opening, told UMNS that the
controversy over homosexuality in the church was "only a symptom." He said
the "real issue is biblical authority" and stated that Scripture clearly
calls homosexuality a sin. Schwend is also a member of the church's national
Confessing Movement, an organization working to call the church to its
doctrinal roots.

The Rev. Edd Denton of Avon United Methodist Church in Mount Vernon told a
Seattle newspaper he's concerned the jury's decision will split his local
church, as well as the denomination as a whole. "If we are unwilling to
follow our own rules, it seems to me that then anything can go. It could
potentially lead to anarchy," Denton said.

Indeed, a number of local churches in the area say they've been flooded with
calls from parishioners angry or pained by the verdict. Some callers have
even threatened to withdraw their membership in the church.

As with many other local churches, members of Gig Harbor United Methodist
Church met Sunday to discuss the verdict. Several felt that church law had
been circumvented. Others voiced their confusion about how a gay pastor could
be allowed to continue in an appointment. Pastor Al Aosved responded with a
reminder that the verdict represents one jury's opinion about one particular
case.

While some people were upset at the verdict, others affirmed it.

Amory Peck of Bellingham, Wash., is a lay delegate to the upcoming General
Conference. He said the trial was an opportunity to be a "prophetic voice" on
the issue of homosexuality. The outcome of the trial "won't change the law,"
he said, "but it could show the world a new understanding." He added, "...
This is a new day."

"This is a great day in the United Methodist Church," said the Rev. Rody Rowe
as he opened the prayer service following the verdict. He led those gathered
in prayer, asking God to "help us to accept each other as Christ accepted us.
... Teach us to care for all people as we find them. ... Give us new eyes for
seeing." He closed with, "Free us; make us one."

The United Methodist Church's first public debate about issues related to
homosexuality occurred at the 1972 General Conference. The topic has
continued to be a "long and painful struggle," according to a report to the
1992 General Conference from the Committee to Study Homosexuality.

Said church counsel Finkbeiner: "I don't know any family that always agrees
on everything."

In his statement, Galvan called on the pastors and church members in his area
to "refocus our attention on mission."

"We are united by our call to faithful discipleship," he said. "Let us join
in prayer for our church and its mission in the world."
# # #

*DeMichele and Riemland are freelance writers based in the Seattle area.
Along with freelance photographer Les Fetchko, they covered the clergy trial
for United Methodist News Service.

The full text of Bishop Elias Galvan's statement follows:

Saturday, March 20, 2004

To the pastors and people of the Pacific Northwest Conference of The United
Methodist Church

Grace and peace to you in the name of Jesus Christ our Lord.

 I thank my God every time I remember you, constantly praying with joy in
every one of my prayers for all of you, because of your sharing in the gospel
from the first day until now.  (Philippians 1.3-5)

I am grateful to you for your faithfulness through these days:	for your
prayers; for enabling many pastors to participate in the jury pool and the
trial court.

Many volunteers have helped with registration, hospitality, pastoral care,
and crowd management for this important, historic and very public event.  I
want to thank the pastors, staff and members of the Bothell United Methodist
Church who have opened their doors, offered their services and created a safe
and neutral space for the church to do its work and the Holy Spirit to tend
the church.

Our sister in Christ, the Rev. Karen Dammann, was acquitted of charges
against her on Saturday, March 20, 2004.  After two days of intense testimony
and 9 = hours of deliberation, a trial court of 13 clergy members of the
Pacific Northwest Conference agreed that Karen is a self-avowed practicing
homosexual, but found her not guilty of "practices declared by The United
Methodist Church to be incompatible with Christian teachings."	The vote was
11 in favor, 2 undecided and 0 opposed.

For 3 years, we have followed the processes of the church carefully,
sometimes painstakingly.  This matter has been reviewed and informed by the
Judicial Council of the Church on two separate occasions.  Every appeal in
this case has been exhausted.  In our church we recognize and respect the
decision of the trial court.  The Rev. Karen Dammann remains an elder in good
standing and member of the Pacific Northwest Conference.  This matter is
resolved.

This decision will not resolve the conflict within The United Methodist
Church, nor within the congregations of this Conference.  As long as this
issue is important to society, the Church must continue to reflect
theologically and biblically and lead in ministries of justice and peace.

While this trial has rightfully taken our time and energy, we must now
refocus our attention on our mission.  It is time to take up our burden of
unresolved conflicts, even as we step out in faith.  Now it is time to turn
again to our urgent responsibility to bear witness to the gospel of Jesus
Christ in the world.

Today people hunger and thirst for righteousness.  Today children seek a word
of affirmation and hope in their lives.  Today the message of grace and
forgiveness is balm for a hurting world.  God empowers every church to be a
haven of hope and a place of peace in its community.  God gives us hands to
serve and soothe, feet to walk in companionship, voices to preach the good
news and raise the cry for justice.

We are united by our call to faithful discipleship.  Let us join in prayer
for our church and its mission in the world.  The Holy Spirit has sustained
us through this very difficult process.  Let us place our confidence in God's
faithfulness as together we journey into the future.

And may the peace of God which surpasses all understanding, guard your hearts
and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Sincerely,

Elias Galvan
Bishop of the Seattle Area