From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Women Respond to God's Call by "Saying Yes!"

From NEWS@ELCA.ORG
Date Wed, 24 Mar 2004 10:09:16 -0600

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

March 24, 2004

ELCA Women Respond to God's Call by "Saying Yes!"
04-048-MR

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Women of the Evangelical Lutheran Church
in America (ELCA) are responding to God's call by "Saying Yes!"
in six retreat-style events across the country in 2004 and 2005.
     "Saying Yes! The Next Step" is designed to "live out" Women
of the ELCA's 2002-2005 theme, "Listen, God is Calling."
Triennial themes guide the development of resources and programs
by staff of the women's organization in the context of the
organization's mission statement "to mobilize women to act boldly
on their faith in Jesus Christ."
     "We wanted an opportunity to honor our triennial theme in a
national way," said Sally B. Sedgwick, director for programs,
Women of the ELCA.  "At its best, [the theme] has taught us to
pay attention to our families, our communities, our world and our
hearts.  Yet, this theme also calls us to grow more deeply in our
understanding of who we are and where we are going," she said.
     "The retreat is a combination of presentations led by staff
of the women's churchwide organization, small-group work and
individual time," said Sedgwick.  "This will also be a chance to
meet new friends, enjoy music and otherwise enter into this 'time
for you.'"
     The retreat-style format "brings women to a different level,
offering an in-depth experience," Sedgwick said.  It provides "a
chance to truly know, as a whole person, the joy of walking in
God's call and to recognize the strength of being accompanied on
the way."
     The retreats will be held:
+ March 26-28 at the Marriott O'Hare Hotel, Chicago
+ April 30-May 2 at the Sheraton Inner Harbor Hotel, Baltimore
+ July 9-11 at the Minneapolis Marriott City Center, Minneapolis
+ Oct. 1-3 at the Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay, Miami
+ Nov. 5-7 at the Denver Marriott Tech Center, Denver
+ Jan. 7-9 Warner Center Marriott, Woodland Hills, Calif.
-- -- --
     Information about "Saying Yes! The Next Step" is available
at http://www.womenoftheelca.org/news/events/sayingyes.html on
the Internet.

For information contact:
http://www.elca.org/news