From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] SHARING THE 'CORE NARRATIVE'

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date Wed, 24 Mar 2004 15:28:13 -0600

Note #8177 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

Sharing the 'core narrative'
04149
March 24, 2004

SHARING THE 'CORE NARRATIVE'

Official wants Christians, Jews to talk more about faith, not religion

by Alexa Smith

LOUISVILLE - The Rev. Jay Rock talks with his hands.

At the moment he's talking about something to which he's devoted a lot of
time - Jewish-Christian relations.

He's writing a guide for Presbyterians to use in connection with a project of
the Union for Union for Reformed Judaism (URJ): Open Doors, Open Minds:
Synagogues and Churches Studying Together.

The URJ's idea is to get people talking about what it means to be faithful
Christians and Jews.

As a Christian, Rock has been in dialogue with Jews for years, but the
conversation has been pretty heady; this time he hopes it will be more from
the heart, more about faith than religion.

"I just think we'd get further if we talked from the beginning point of what
is dear to us," he says. "What are really the central commitments that we
have? Not just commitments we have in our heads, our core beliefs, but also
the things that really convict us. That get to us. That move us."

He puts down his cup of tea to give gestural emphasis to that word,
"moooove."

Rock believes the Presbyterian supplement he's writing will be ready shortly
after the General Assembly ends on July 3. He is working with the URJ's
booklet and a video produced jointly by U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops
and the National Council of Synagogues, and thinking about how to really talk
about faith.

Rock, the new coordinator of the PCUSA's Inter-Faith Relations Office, held a
similar position with the National Council of Church of Christ (NCC) for 16
years, appointed there as a PC(USA) mission worker.

He has had plenty of conversations about the problems that have plagued
Jewish-Christian history. About anti-Semitism, about helping Christians read
the Bible without blaming Jews for Jesus's death, about how Jews and
Christians can more authentically depict each others' religions in
educational materials for children.

It isn't as if the PC(USA) hasn't had a voice in those conversations.

In 1987, the General Assembly approved a research paper, A Theological
Understanding of the Relationship Between Christians and Jews, a careful
effort to articulate how God's relationship with Christians relates to God's
relationship with Jews. (This paper is available in Adobe Acrobat format at
http://www.pcusa.org/theologyandworship/passion.htm. For a more general
statement of Presbyterian views on Jewish-Christian relations, visit
http://www.pcusa.org/pcusa/wmd/eir/jews.htm. For a statement on the PC(USA)'s
position on violence against Jews, visit
http://www.pcusa.org/oga/newsstories/anti-semitism-statement.htm.)

The 1987 document says Christians and Jews ought to be in dialogue, affirms
God's special relationship with the Jewish people, and argues that Christians
and Jews have a distinct but mutual witness, bound by separate covenants that
have never been undone.

As he talks, Rock picks up a stone - how's that for irony? - from a table in
his office. On it is carved a single word - "Remember."

The familiar adage, he says, also is a religious imperative for Jews and
Christians alike.

"Religion is a very emotional business," he says. "We Presbyterians are
pretty intellectual; we're committed to study, to having the Word explained,
to trying to understand what it means. But there is a dimension of our faith
that is very deeply emotional. It moves us. Otherwise, we wouldn't be doing
it."

Remembering is one important piece of the puzzle of Jewish-Christian
relations. Remembering enables worshippers of both faiths to re-enter an
event and re-experience faith. "This time of the year, with Passover and
Easter, these are both opportunities for remembering," Rock says - for Jews,
remembering the Hebrews' liberation from Egypt; for Christians, remembering
their liberation from death.

"There is so much more. It is so powerful," he says. "In the Passion of
Jesus, what happens to us as Christians, our faith is re-affirmed, our
baptismal vows are re-affirmed, and we come to life all over again. We enter
into the whole mystery of Jesus giving up his life and God bringing him out
of death ... and bringing us out of death.

"This is incredible. It is incredible to re-enter, re-vivify this whole
reality."

He acknowledges that some of that powerful emotion has been misdirected
against Jews, through centuries of pogroms and persecution, the result of a
skewed understanding of Jesus's death.

"If any of us have ever been to a Seder (a Passover ritual commemorating the
Hebrews' deliverance from Egypt), we can understand the powerful imagery
going on in the Jewish community ... where God delivers an entire people out
of bondage through a series of miracles," he says. "Brings them into the
desert and then out of the desert. For the Jewish community, the emotion is
the same. To re-member ... the core narrative."

Rock puts down his mug and smiles, adding: "What if we could talk about what
it means to live within these core stories? It make the conversation more
personal. And it could help us talk ... about our struggles, our joys."

Rock, a 1973 graduate of San Francisco Theological Seminary, has a doctorate
from the Graduate Theological Union in Claremont, CA. He worked as a PCUSA
pastor in northern California for seven years.

He can be reached by phone at (888) 728-7228, ext. 5289, or by email at
JRock@ctr.pcusa.org.