From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

AACC - We Have to Resolve Our Own Conflicts

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Sat, 27 Mar 2004 16:32:00 -0800

All Africa Conference of Churches

www.aacc-ceta.org	Tel: 254 - 20 - 4441483, 4441338/9 7 Fax: 254 - 20-
4443241, 4445835 7 Email: secretariat@aacc-ceta.org
General Secretariat: Waiyaki Way, P.O. Box 14205 , 00800 Westlands,
Nairobi, Kenya

PRESS RELEASE

'We Have To Resolve Our Own Conflicts'

NAIROBI (LWF) - March 27 - A report of the steering committee of the
Regional Summit of Interfaith Action for Peace has noted that the process
of resolving Africa's conflicts locally has started and the results are
promising.

"It was always assumed that only people from outside the continent could do
this work. However, it is us, the people of this continent who have to
resolve our own conflicts," the report, read by Mr. Prabhu Pattni, said.

According to the report, the settlement of the border dispute between
Ethiopia and Eritrea was "almost done". The process has started and is
showing hopeful results, the report observed.

The report also noted that positive and concerted efforts were going on to
end the long drawn-out war in the Sudan by brokering peace between the
government and the SPLA/M.

The continent-wide peace initiatives have also been going on in Burundi and
Somalia where peace and national unity has been wanting for several years.
The peace efforts were also going on in Northern Uganda, it was reported.

"There are many such small conflicts going on throughout the continent.
Such conflicts become a cause for major concern to all people and
particularly the religious organizations," the report said.

The report noted that religious leaders "felt that something needs to be
done really fast in order to start the process of resolution of these
conflicts."

The Interfaith Action for Peace initiative was born keeping this background
in mind. It seemed that it was not enough to resolve the ongoing conflicts
but to inculcate into people tolerance and peace so as to build a culture
that would avoid conflicts.

By Noel Okoth
AIMS Media for LWF