From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

California Same-Sex Marriage Case Continued to June

From UfmccHq@aol.com
Date Mon, 29 Mar 2004 18:53:38 EST

N E W S   R E L E A S E
For Immediate Release: March 29, 2004

FROM METROPOLITAN COMMUNITY CHURCHES

Los Angeles Same-Sex Marriage Case Hearing Date Set

Rev. Troy D. Perry, Human Rights Activist, Sues LA County For Marriage
Licenses, Recognition of Legal Canadian Gay Marriages

Los Angeles -- The first lawsuit to challenge the constitutionality of the
California statute prohibiting same-sex marraiges has has been stayed until
Friday, June 18, 2004.

The Los Angeles case, brought by veteran gay activists Robin Tyler and Rev.
Troy D. Perry and their partners, seeks to compel the County of Los Angeles
issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples, and also seeks recognition of
Perry's Canadian marriage to Phillip Ray De Blieck, his partner of 18 years.

The LA Superior Court has set a status conference for June 18 to review the
action, if any, taken by the California Supreme Court regarding marriage
licenses issued by San Francisco

The lawsuit, originally scheduled for a hearing on March 30, was stayed by
Judge David Yaffee, Department 85 of the Los Angeles Superior Court. LA
County
requested a stay of the case pending the California Supreme Court's decision.

County officials informed the court that the County was taking no position as

to the constitionality of the same-sex mariage prohibition.

Tyler and her partner, Diane Olson, granddaughter of California Governor
Culbert Levy Olson, expressed mix feelings about the stay. "Even a temporary
stay
is frustrating when you are seeking justice and fairness in the law. But the
status hearing on June 18 will move us another step forward in this process,"

said Tyler, who is the co-founder and national Co-Chair of DontAmend.com, a
national organization opposed to an anti-gay amendment to the U.S.
Constitution,
and Executive Director of The Equality Campaign.

Noting that lawsuits seeking recognition of same-sex marriages have also been

filed in San Francisco and Orange County, Tyler added, "It doesn't matter who

breaks the barrier first. What's important is that the barrier of
discrimination comes down. We are one movement. And we believe all people
deserve
equality under the law."

Rev. Troy D. Perry, the other defendant in the case filed by noted attorney
Gloria Allred, said "My partner and I are looking forward to status hearing
that has been set by the courts. We're especially pleased that the hearing
will
take place on June 18, just days before hundreds of thousands of lesbian,
gay,
bisexual and transgender people in Southern California celebrate Pride
Weekend. We're proud of the advancements gays and lesbians have made over the
past
four decades, and proud of our families and our relationships, too."

Perry, the first openly gay member of the Los Angeles Human Relations
Commission and founder of the 43,000 member Metropolitan Community Churches,
filed
the first-ever lawsuit seeking California's legal recognition of same-sex
marriages in 1970.

(END)

For Additional Information, Contact:

Robin Tyler
(818) 893-4075
E-Mail: RobinTyler@aol.com

Rev. Troy D. Perry
c/o Jim Birkitt, MCC Communications Department
(310) 360-8640, Ext. 226
E-Mail: info@MCCchurch.org