From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

National Council of Churches USA Easter Message 2004

From "Carol Fouke" <cfouke@ncccusa.org>
Date Mon, 5 Apr 2004 14:50:49 -0400

April 5, 2004

National Council of Churches USA Easter Message 2004:
Fear and Amazement in a Troubled World

"As they entered the tomb, they saw a young man, dressed in a white robe,
sitting on the right side; and they were alarmed.  But he said to them, "Do
not be alarmed; you are looking for Jesus of Nazareth, who was crucified.  He
has been raised; he is not here.  Look, there is the place they laid him.
But go, tell his disciples and Peter that he is going ahead of you to
Galilee; there you will see him, just as he told you."	So they went out and
fled from the tomb, for terror and amazement had seized them; and they said
nothing to anyone, for they were afraid."  (Mark 16:5-8, NRSV).

At Easter, Christians readily embrace the joys of the season.  Pleasant
weather finally arrives; crocuses burst forth from the thawing ground; birds
begin to greet us with their early-morning song.  Colored eggs appear on our
tables; bunnies mysteriously deliver baskets filled with chocolate and
jellybeans to our children; new clothes make their debut at church services.

We should enjoy all these blessings; after all, God has given us natural
wonders, and we have responded with wonderful creativity to express our
appreciation for these gifts.  But sometimes we have to ask ourselves, where
is the fear and amazement that characterized the first Easter?

Certainly the followers of Jesus were perplexed and afraid.  Their Lord had
just died a horrible death.  He had been taunted, scourged, beaten, and
crucified; he died with an agonizing cry of abandonment and pain.  The
ridicule heaped upon him as he suffered his torment was compounded by the
indignity of being buried without proper preparation of his body.  Now he was
raised?

In the words of the Orthodox Paschal hymn, "Christ is risen from the dead,
trampling down death by death, and bestowing life upon those in the tomb."
Our belief as Christians is that, as revealed on that first Easter morning,
God has wrought salvation in this mysterious way, by "trampling down death by
death."  Perhaps we don't experience fear and amazement today because we no
longer see the contradiction inherent in this story.  Perhaps it is because
we don't really understand that our calling is to follow Christ step-by-step
through this paradox.

Yet it is precisely this understanding -- that God is with us in our most
vulnerable moments -- that is at the heart of the Gospel that we proclaim and
which enables us to witness to the universal love of God.  How else to
provide comfort to the millions suffering from war in the Middle East?	How
else to offer hope to the millions suffering from HIV/AIDS in Africa?  How
else to bring joy to the millions suffering from starvation throughout the
world?

Certainly, we should work in every possible physical way to bring peace,
healing and sustenance to all people.  Our calling requires it.  But as
Christians, we also have a faith to share, and it is only by comprehending
with fear and amazement the paradox of Christ's death that we can genuinely
share with others the fruit of his resurrection.

-end-

National Council of Churches
475 Riverside Dr, New York
New York 10115-0050