From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Not Just Secular: Churches Celebrate Earth Day Sunday 4/25

From "Carol Fouke" <cfouke@ncccusa.org>
Date Thu, 8 Apr 2004 16:26:45 -0400

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Earth Day Not Just for the Secular: Congregations Celebrate Earth Day Sunday

Washington, D.C., April 8, 2004-Christian congregations across the nation are
embracing Earth Day, an event once only observed in the secular arena. "God
created the earth and we intend to celebrate the beauty of God's creation and
act as stewards-touching the earth gently," says Charlie Conklin of Towson
Presbyterian Church in Baltimore, Md., one of the many thousands of
congregations that has put Earth Day on its calendar.

Congregations typically choose the Sunday closest to Earth Day for a special
emphasis on environmental stewardship, using materials and resources provided
by the National Council of Churches USA (NCC). This year, Earth Day Sunday
falls on April 25. On that day, many churches nationwide will give thanks for
God's gift of air with the National Council of Churches' 2004 Earth Day
Sunday Resource, "Life-Giving Breath of God."

"The air we breathe is essential," says Cassandra Carmichael, director of
eco-justice programs at the National Council of Churches. "We felt that it
was important not only to celebrate air as one of God's most precious gifts,
but also to strive to protect its quality."

Congregations will mark Earth Day Sunday with worship experiences, education
programs, and other environmental activities. For information or a copy of
the 2004 Earth Day Sunday resource, visit: www.nccecojustice.org or contact
Cassandra Carmichael, NCC director of eco-justice programs, (202) 544-2350
(ext. 27), cassandra@toad.net

The NCC's 36 Protestant, Anglican and Orthodox member denominations include
some 45 million persons in more than 100,000 local congregations in
communities across the nation.

-end-

Media Contact: Cassandra Carmichael, National Council of Churches,
202.544.2350, ext. 27; cassandra@toad.net

---
Send E-mail address changes to: nccc_usa@ncccusa.org