From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Resources, Events, Funding in Plans for Lutheran Men in Mission

From NEWS@ELCA.ORG
Date Thu, 15 Apr 2004 08:24:53 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

April 15, 2004

Resources, Events, Funding in Plans for Lutheran Men in Mission
04-063-FI

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Board members for Lutheran Men in Mission
(LMM), the men's organization of the Evangelical Lutheran Church
in America (ELCA), came away from their meeting March 19-21 in
Charleston, S.C., "with the beginnings of a three-year plan that
is realistic and attainable," said LMM President Heber Rast,
Cameron, S.C.
     "We have consensus of the fact that we in LMM must remain
focused on our mission of 'Building Men for Christ.'  Our goals
help us to accomplish that task," Rast said.  "We still need to
work on specific objectives, but we have the foundation of the
plan," he said.
     "We affirmed the vision of Lutheran Men in Mission, which is
that every man will grow in his relationship to Jesus Christ
through an effective men's ministry in every congregation," said
Doug Haugen, LMM director.
     "Our plans went from eight goals to three because our focus
is really men and connecting men to Jesus Christ and helping
local churches to connect men to Jesus Christ.	That's what our
work is all about," Haugen said.
     LMM's three goals for the next three years are:
+ to produce and promote resources for effective Lutheran men's
ministry that will help to grow men's faith and relationships;
+ to produce and promote events that will help to grow men's
faith and relationships; and
+ to strengthen LMM resources so that the organization might be
financially self-sufficient by the end of 2005.
     LMM has distributed thousands of copies of the "Master
Builders Bible for Men" in ELCA congregations across the United
States and Caribbean.  The study Bible includes the "Men's
Ministry Leaders Supplement" to help men start men's ministry
programs in their congregations.  Most of LMM's resources are
compiled in a Men's Ministry Tool Kit.
     LMM's Young Men's Leadership Council is organizing a "Road
Trip" event, targeted to reach Lutheran men 18 to 34 years old,
Sept. 24-26 at YMCA of the Rockies near Estes Park, Colo.
     The next LMM Assembly is planned for July 21-22, 2005, and
the Lutheran Men's Gathering for July 22-24, 2005, at the Embassy
Suites Convention Center, Charleston, S.C.
     "It has always been the intent of Lutheran Men in Mission to
be self-sufficient at some time," Haugen said.	"It is our intent
to be self-sufficient financially by the end of 2005.  Now we
hope that can happen," he said.
     "We are working with a development council -- very capable
men from throughout the ELCA and throughout the country -- that
is not only devising the plan to do that but also carrying it
out," Haugen said.
-- -- --
     The home page for Lutheran Men in Mission is at
http://www.elca.org/lmm/ on the ELCA Web site.

For information contact:
http://www.elca.org/news