From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

United Church of Canada Denounces Sanctuary Violation

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Thu, 15 Apr 2004 09:10:42 -0700

For immediate release

Thursday, March 11, 2004

THE UNITED CHURCH OF CANADA DENOUNCES THE VIOLATION OF SANCTUARY

Toronto:	In a letter to be sent today to the Minister of
Citizenship and Immigration, the Hon. Judy Sgro, and to the Minister of
Public Safety, the Hon. Anne McClellan, Canada's largest Protestant
denomination, The United Church of Canada, has strongly condemned the
March 5th violation of the ancient practice of sanctuary at Saint-Pierre
United Church in Quebec City.

The letter explains that United Church congregations do not grant
sanctuary lightly, but rather as a temporary response to Canada's
continuing inability to provide adequate protection to refugees and
those seeking asylum.

"Canada's refugee determination system has failed those it is obligated
to protect. The government has not implemented the merit-based appeal
process promised in 2002. With lives at risk, lacking due process, and
no other way to address obvious errors, we believe we must act in faith
to secure justice and safety for those that Canada is obliged to
protect. Churches resort to the very public witness of sanctuary not to
hide anyone, but to seek justice under Canadian law and our
international obligations. We believe that by providing a sacred space,
a temporary sanctuary, we allow the opportunity to also support our
federal government in its restoration of legal justice. We act because
we believe Canada has an obligation to protect those seeking safe haven.
We must ensure that the system of refugee protection works effectively
and justly."

"For this reason, we denounce the violent intrusion of the Quebec police
into one of our sanctuaries. Moreover, it appears this police action, an
action we deem both unwarranted and wrong, was carried out with the full
knowledge and concurrence of your ministries."

"We regret that in this instance you chose not to consult with church
officials to find a solution, rather than violate sanctuary. Given that
the congregation was acting in good faith we find it unacceptable that
the federal government and police would act in this way. In addition,
this heavy-handed approach in no way reflects a fair or due process in
response to complex protection cases. Furthermore, in the way Mr.
Cherfi's deportation was handled, we believe he was treated neither
fairly nor justly, and in clear contravention of the Quebec Charter of
Rights. Morally the federal government must not deport individuals whose
lives may be in danger in their country of origin. Canada cannot wash
its hands of responsibility if Mr. Cherfi is returned back to Algeria by
the United States, and faces threats to his life and physical
well-being."

The letter also requests an immediate meeting with both ministers to
discuss what steps the federal government will take to fulfill its
international commitment to protect refugees and those who seek asylum
in Canada.

For further information or to arrange media interviews, please contact:

Mary-Frances Denis
Communications Officer
The United Church of Canada
416-231-7680 ext. 2016 (business)
416-885-7478 (cell)

--30--

(this is the text of the letter which is being sent today)

March 11, 2004

The Hon. Anne McClellan, Minister of Public Safety
Deputy Prime Minister
Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness
Room 306, Justice Building
House of Commons
Ottawa, ON KIA OA6

The Hon. Judy Sgro, Minister of Citizenship & Immigration
Ministry of Citizenship and Immigration
Room 239, Confederation Building
House of Commons
Ottawa, ON KIA 0A6

Dear Ministers:

We condemn the March 5th violation of the ancient practice of sanctuary
at Saint-Pierre United Church, Quebec City. The United Church of Canada
is Canada's largest Protestant denomination with over 2.5 million
adherents. The United Church creed, often recited every Sunday, affirms
that as a church we will, "seek justice, and resist evil". Thus the
pursuit of justice and defending the sanctity of human life are at the
core of the faith of The United Church of Canada. United Church
congregations do not grant sanctuary lightly, but only as a temporary
response to Canada's continuing inability to provide adequate protection
to refugees and those seeking asylum. Therefore we request an urgent
joint meeting with both of you to discuss what steps the federal
[...]

Given that the protection system is failing, the United Church will be
constant in our commitment to secure justice for marginalized people. We
recognize that sanctuary is no permanent solution for anyone; rather, it
is a last resort, offered in the hope that justice might yet be served
for the most vulnerable among us. We expect sanctuary to be taken
seriously and in the spirit of justice with which it is given. We call
for frank discussion and concrete measures to protect people, not
violation of religious sanctuaries. On behalf of the General Council of
The United Church of Canada we seek an immediate meeting to address
issues of refugee protection and those who seek asylum in Canada.

Sincerely,

The Rev. Dr. Jim Sinclair
General Secretary
General Council