From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

AACC - President Mwai Kibaki Says Role of Church and State

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Fri, 16 Apr 2004 14:28:31 -0700

All Africa Conference of Churches
Information and Communication Desk
P. O. Box 14205
00800 Westlands
Nairobi, Kenya

By AACC Media Team and Kenya Presidential Press Service

NAIROBI, April 14, 2004  President Mwai Kibaki of Kenya has said the role
of the church and state were complimentary in the socio-economic
development of the country.

The President was speaking at State House, Nairobi (April 14) when he held
discussions with an ecumenical delegation led by the General Secretary of
the World Council of Churches (WCC), Rev. Dr. Sam Kobia.

President Kibaki encouraged the Church to be more pro-active in providing
directions on the way forward on some of the sticky issues in the country.

The discussions also covered other areas including the fight against
HIV/AIDS where the President commended the church for its efforts in
sensitizing Kenyans on the need to adopt behaviour change that would halt
the spread of the killer disease.

The Rev. Kobia hailed the Presidents peace initiatives in the region and
especially in Somalia and Sudan and expressed hope that the efforts could
result into concrete peace agreements in the two countries.

The Rev. Kobia gave the assurance that through ecumenical initiative the
church would continue to compliment the work of the government in
prevention and eradication of the HIV/AIDS.

The Rev. Kobia who took over the leadership of the WCC in January this year
is the first African to hold the post. He was accompanied by the President
for Africa of the World Council of Churches Dr. Agnes Abuom the President
of the All Africa Conference of Churches (AACC), Rev.

Dr. Nyansako-ni-Nku, AACC General Secretary Rev. Dr. H. Mvume Dandala, Teny
Pirri  Simonian WCC Programme Officer for Church and Ecumenical Relations,
Rev. Kobias wife Ruth Kobia, and the General Secretary of the National
Council in Churches Kenya (NCCK) Rev. Mutava Musyimi.

Speaking on behalf of the WCC, AACC and NCCK delegation, Rev. Kobia
commended President Kibaki for the good signs of a new promising future
for Kenya. We thank God for the Kenyan people and the democratic gains that
bequeathed your leadership with the task of rebuilding this great nation.

Rev. Kobia stressed that Africa has a very special place in the life and
work of the WCC. During our last general assembly in Harare, Zimbabwe, we
initiated a special focus on Africa together with the All Africa Conference
of Churches (AACC) and the National Council of Churches in the entire
continent. In Kenya we have special collaboration with NCCK in various
activities and projects that promote human development.

He pointed out that WCC together with a network of Christian communities,
civil society agencies and Churches world wide, have continued to work in
the areas of education, health and food security.  We are engaged in
affirming the dignity and life of the poor and transforming the human
condition with the vision and values of the
Gospel.

He noted that the churches in Kenya, from the missionary movement to date
continued to play a major role in complementing the work of government in
all critical areas of human development. We celebrate and encourage their
good work and applaud the goodwill and co-operation your government
continues to give in this noble endeavour.

Rev. Kobia pointed out that the churches have been involved through the
work of WCC in the ongoing peace processes and initiatives in the
continent.  Our historic contribution goes way back to the struggles
against apartheid in South Africa to the most recent peace initiatives in
Liberia and Sudan.

He expressed that hope that the relationship between Kenya government and
the churches in Kenya will continue to flourish for the good and well being
of the people of Kenya. As Church and State we are all called to affirm
the human dignity and democratic values of all peoples	 and by working
together towards bringing health and wholeness especially to those
suffering of HIV/AIDS, he added.

For further information, contact:

MITCH ODERO
All Africa Conference of Churches