From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

MCC Condemns Abbott Laboratories HIV Med Price Hike

From UfmccHq@aol.com
Date Fri, 16 Apr 2004 19:08:21 EDT

April 16, 2004

A Public Statement
on Behalf of the
43,000 Members and Adherents of
Metropolitan Community Churches

The 300 congregations of Metropolitan Community Churches join in the
condemnation of Abbott Laboratories recent 400% price hike in the protease
inhibitor,
Norvir.

The lives of tens of thousands of people with HIV and AIDS depend upon access
to this medication, and these price increases by Abbott Laboratories are
unconscionable. Abbott's actions have increased the cost of a single bottle
of
Norvir medication from $250 (US) to almost $1200 (US).

At a time when HIV infection rates are on the rise among young people, women,
and people of color, Abbott has adopted a strategy that will deny life-saving
medication to those who need it most.

Metropolitan Community Churches has a keen interest in Abbott Laboratories
actions. Since the beginning of the AIDS pandemic, more than 6000 MCC members
and worshipers have died of AIDS related complications. Our churches and our
members stand in solidarity with those who are harmed and whose lives are
threatened by Abbott's corporate greed.

MCC churches reaffirm our unwavering belief that access to health care and
life-saving medications is not optional b they are the basic human rights of
all
people.

On behalf of Metropolitan Community Churches, we extend our support,
encouragement and endorsement to those who will stand in vigil and protest at
the
Abbott Laboratories Offices in South Pasadena on April 19 and 20, 2004, and
encourage all people of goodwill to participate in these public actions.

					 /signed/

					 Kerry Lobel
					 MCC Executive Director

(END)

For Additional Information, Contact:
Jim Birkitt
MCC Communications Director
8704 Santa Monica Boulevard, Second Floor
West Hollywood, CA  90069
Tel. (310) 360-8640, Ext. 226
E-Mail: info@MCCchurch.org
Website: www.MCCchurch.org