From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS - A statement of Anglican Bishop in Jerusalem on Mordachai

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Wed, 21 Apr 2004 11:35:06 -0700

ACNS 3817     |     MIDDLE EAST      |	   21 APRIL 2004

A photograph for this article is available here:
http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acns/articles/38/00/acns3817.cfm

A statement from the Anglican Bishop in Jerusalem on Mordachai Vanunu

The Rt Revd Riah Abu El-Assal

Mordachai Vanunu

As chief pastor of the Anglican community in the Holy Land, I greeted
Mordachai Vanunu this morning at 11am as he was released from Ashkelon
prison. He is an Anglican Christian and expressed his desire to offer
thanks to God for his release from prison as his first act as a free
man.

At his request, I celebrated the Holy Eucharist in the Cathedral Church
of St. George, Jerusalem, midday, in the presence of fellow Christians,
including bishops and clergy from England, the USA and Australia as well
as local Christians. The Eucharist was offered in thanksgiving for the
resurrection of Jesus Christ and in prayers for Mr Vanunu, his family
and friends in the hopes that he can live a normal life from now on.

+The Rt Revd Riah Abu El-Assal
Bishop in Jerusalem