From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCC - Christian Leaders Chastise President Bush's 'Clean Air'

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Thu, 22 Apr 2004 16:19:31 -0700

  Christian Leaders Chastise President Bush's 'Clean Air' Policy as Immoral

Campaign Launches with Letter to President Bush from US Christian Leaders
100,000 Congregations Receive Protecting the Sacred Gift of Air Resource
4,000 Local Leaders Sign A Call for Power Plant Cleanup
Full Page Ad Scheduled to Run in The New York Times

News Release About the Campaign
Text of April 22 Letter to President Bush, with signatories

April 22, Washington, D.C. - With a major mobilization of its base, U.S.
Christian leaders are using their clout to call attention to the Bush
Administrations "clean air" policy that they say goes against Christian
principles of stewardship and care for Gods creation and Gods children.

In a letter sent today to President Bush, nearly 100 national and state
Christian leaders in the country, representing millions of congregants,
expressed grave moral concern and dismay over the Presidents stewardship
of Americas environment and the implications for Americans health -
particularly for children, women and the elderly.

Ever since taking office, the Administration has weakened critical health
standards, especially the Clean Air Act, said Bob Edgar, General Secretary
of the National Council of Churches, whose 36 member denominations count 45
million adherents in more than 100,000 congregations nationwide.

Edgar, one of the faith leaders who signed the letter to the President,
added that President Bush says that moral values are a cornerstone in this
Administration, but this Administration is failing the call to protect
Gods children. As our Bible teaches us, whatever one fails to do to the
humblest of our brothers and sisters, one fails to do to God (Matthew
25:45).

Citing passages from the Bible such as defend the poor and the orphan; do
justice to the afflicted and the needy (Psalm 82:3), the letter highlights
Christian values of protecting Gods creation, caring for ones neighbor,
and protecting the least fortunate among us. Other signatures include those
of Bishop Melvin G. Talbert, Ecumenical Officer, Council of Bishops, The
United Methodist Church and the Rev. Dr. A. Roy Medley, General Secretary
of the American Baptist Churches (U.S.A.)

Their concerns also are reflected in a national advertisement set to run in
The New York Times, calling on President Bush to stop dismantling the New
Source Review (NSR) provisions of the Clean Air Act and to vigorously
enforce the integrity of the Act, to protect public health against mercury
pollution, and to include carbon among the pollutants regulated from power
plant emissions.

Religious Americans from across the country have joined national religious
leaders in a growing concern over the quality of the air they breathe. Over
100,000 congregations have received a resource titled Life-giving Breath
of God: Protecting the Sacred Gift of Air (available on-line at
www.nccecojustice.org), resulting in a coordinated national congregational
effort to celebrate Earth Day Sunday on April 25.

Sunday services will include liturgy praising the Creator God, the ruler
of the sky, and study pieces on the state of air quality that includes
ideas for personal and congregational actions. Congregants will also be
called to pressure the president to strengthen air quality standards. In
addition to congregational efforts, nearly 4,000 local religious leaders
have signed A Call for Power Plant Cleanup that applies moral principles
of justice and stewardship and concludes with: Cleaning up dirty power
plants that cause harmful pollution must therefore be a policy priority.

These are moral values shared by millions of people across America, Edgar
added. Yet the Bush Administration continues to prioritize the interests
of polluting energy corporations over the health and well-being of Gods
children.

According to information recently released by the Environmental Protection
Agency, more than half of Americans live in or around areas where air
pollution levels exceed clean air standards. Most of them are minority
groups from low-income families who often lack the means to relocate to
cleaner, environmentally safer neighborhoods and have limited access to
health care.

President Bushs record on the environment has repeatedly come under fire
not only from environmentalists, but from leading scientists as well as
other Republicans. In February, the Union of Concerned Scientists issued a
statement signed by dozens of scientists, medical experts, and Nobel
laureates questioning the integrity of the scientific research behind
administration environment policies, and leading U.S. Senators sent a
letter to EPA Administrator Michael Leavitt asking him not to stall
expected implementation of mercury protections from dirty power plants.

Following is the full text of the April 22 letter to President Bush:

* * * *

Dear Mr. President,

In a spirit of shared faith and respect, we feel called to express grave
moral concern about your Clear Skies initiative --- which we believe is
The Administrations continuous effort to weaken critical environmental
standards that protect Gods creation. Our concern over the Clear Skies
initiative follows our strong disapproval over your Administrations
decision to change federal air pollution rules that weaken "New Source
Review" provisions of the Clean Air Act -- allowing some of the country's
biggest polluting facilities to avoid installing air pollution-control
equipment when they significantly increase polluting emissions.

We do not come to these positions casually, nor are we alone in our views.
A growing number of religious Americans have come to recognize a solemn
obligation to measure environmental policies against biblically mandated
standards for stewardship and justice.

Respected scientific estimates, some by the federal government itself,
cause us to question whether this Clear Skies proposal meets fundamental
moral responsibilities as set out by the Bible.

The book of Genesis records that God beholds creation as very good
(Genesis 3:1) and commands us to till and tend the garden (Genesis 2:15).

Protection of the global climate is an essential requirement for faithful
human stewardship of Gods creation on Earth. Our own National Academy of
Sciences --- joining an overwhelming scientific consensus --- concluded in
2001 that carbon emissions from power plants are significantly contributing
to the increase in global warming. Yet, your initiative pointedly does not
set mandatory standards of reduction for these emissions. A multi-pollutant
approach must address all significant emissions from power plants,
including carbon emissions.

Clean air is as essential to life as a stable climate. Yet the
Environmental Protection Agency reports that millions of Americans live in
areas that have been deemed unhealthy to breathe. Power plants are the
single greatest source of industrial air pollution in the nation. The
American Lung Association asserts that the attainment of reductions of
sulfur dioxide, nitrogen oxides, and mercury that would take effect under
the existing Clean Air Act will be delayed for years if Clear Skies is
adopted by Congress.

Our Bible sets forth a paramount obligation to defend the poor and the
orphan; do justice to the afflicted and the needy (Psalms 82:3) and calls
us to satisfy the needs of the afflicted, [and] then your light shall rise
in the darkness (Isaiah 58: 10).

Poor people, who have limited access to health care; senior citizens, who
may have compromised immune systems; and children, who pound for pound
breathe 50 percent more air pollution than adults, are disproportionately
hurt by air pollution. Epidemiological studies from leading health
scientists have shown that air pollution from power plants increases
respiratory distress, asthma attacks, visits to the emergency room and even
premature death. Again, Mr. President, we question the rationale of
delaying power plant pollution reductions by the enactment of your Clear
Skies initiative, as the American Lung Association has pointed out, rather
than simply enforcing the reduction attainments of the Clean Air Act. This
means more trips to the emergency room, more asthma attacks, more chronic
bronchitis and more premature death, with the greatest impact falling on
those least able to defend themselves: the poor, the elderly, and our
children.

We are reminded that The Earth is the Lords and the fullness thereof
(Psalm 24:1). And we are also reminded that a nation is judged for its
transgressions because they sell the righteous for silver, and the needy
for a pair of sandals (Amos 6:2).

The private use of creations bounty must serve the needs of all Gods
children. Yet we are concerned that powerful corporate interests have had
disproportionate influence in shaping and reaping benefits from a clean air
program which should serve the common good.

Finally, we have a solemn duty to the future well-being of Earth and all
life within it, the covenant which I make between me and you and every
living creature for perpetual generations (Genesis 9:12).

Yet we believe that the Administrations energy, clean air and climate
change programs prolong our dependence on fossil fuels, which are depleting
Earths resources, poisoning its climate, punishing the poor, constricting
sustainable economic growth, and jeopardizing global security and peace.

We represent broad perspectives from communities of faith. We do not seek
confrontation. But we believe there are reasonable and prudent alternatives
to the course you have set. And, in light of fundamental mandates of
scripture, we believe we must bring forward our perspectives to members of
our respective communities and denominations.

We have written previously to you voicing our concerns on these important
issues. We now request an opportunity to meet with you in person to discuss
our concerns.

Sincerely,

National Signatories

     * Dr. Bob Edgar, General Secretary, National Council of Churches USA
     * Bishop Melvin G. Talbert, Ecumenical Officer, Council of Bishops,
The United Methodist Church
     * Ronald Brugler, President, Swedenborgian Church
     * Ronald J. Sider, President, Evangelicals for Social Action
     * Bishop Mark Hanson, Presiding Bishop, Evangelical Lutheran Church of
America
     * John H. Thomas, General Minister and President, United Church of
Christ
     * Rev. Dr. Seung Koo Choi, General Secretary of the General Assembly,
The Korean Presbyterian Church in America
     * Rev. Dr. Clifton Kirkpatrick, Stated Clerk of the General Assembly,
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
     * William Chris Hobgood, General Minister and President, The Christian
Church (Disciples of Christ) in the USA and Canada
     * Rev. Tony Campolo, Tony Campolo Ministries
     * Thomas H. Jeavons, General Secretary, Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of
the Religious Society of Friends
     * Rev. Wesley Granberg-Michaelson, General Secretary, Reformed Church
in America
     * Stan Hastey, Executive Director, The Alliance of Baptists
     * The Rev. Dr. A. Roy Medley, General Secretary, American Baptist
Churches USA
     * Stanley J. Noffsinger, General Secretary, Church of the Brethren
General Board
     * Dr. Ronald M. Cunningham, Bishop, Christian Methodist Episcopal Church
     * Rev. Michael E. Livingston, International Council of Community
Churches
     * Rev. Dr. Richard L. Hamm, Former General Minister & President,
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in the U.S. & Canada

State Signatories

     * Rev. Sarai Beck, Executive Director, Ecumenical Ministries of Iowa
     * Rev. Marshall Peters, Executive Minister, Mid-American Baptist Church
     * Dr. Richard Guentert, Regional Minister and President, Christian
Church of the Upper Midwest
     * Rev. Connie Burkholder, District Executive, Northern Plains
District, Church of the Brethren
     * Rev. Philip Hougen, Bishop, Southeastern Iowa Synod, Evangelical
Lutheran Church in America
     * Right Rev. Alan Scarfe, Bishop, Episcopal Diocese of Iowa, The
Episcopal Church
     * Rev. Phil Barrett, General Presbyter, Presbytery of Des Moines,
Presbyterian Church (USA)
     * Rev. Harry Olthoff, General Presbyter and Facilitator, Presbytery of
Eastern Iowa, Presbyterian Church (USA)
     * Bishop Gregory Palmer, Resident Bishop, Iowa Area, United Methodist
Church
     * The Rev. Elaine Hewes, Redeemer Lutheran Church, ELCA, Bangor, Maine
     * The Rev. David Heald, The Rev. Susan Curtis, St. Bartholomews
Episcopal Church, Yarmouth, Maine
     * Sister Claire B. Lepage, CSJ, Justice and Peace Coordinator, Sisters
of St. Josephs of Lyon, U.S. Province, Lewiston, Maine
     * The Rev. Richard A. Cullen, United Methodist Church of Auburn,
Auburn, Maine
     * Sister Kathleen Smith, RSM, Earth Sisters of Maine
     * Barbara K. Foust, Co-Clerk, Midcoast Friends Meeting, Religious
Society of Friends, Damariscotta, Maine
     * The Rev. Dr. Marvin M. Ellison, Professor of Christian Ethics,
Bangor Theological Seminary, Presbyterian Church (USA)
     * The Rev. William Bliss, Bath United Church of Christ, Bath, Maine
     * Sister Joanne Roy, SCIM Congregation, Saco, Maine
     * Peggy Dunn, D.Min., Berwick United Methodist Church, Berwick, Maine
     * The Rev. John J. Ward-Diorio, First Parish Church Congregational
(UCC), Freeport, Maine
     * Sister Jackie Moreau, RSM, Sisters of Mercy Justice Committee,
Portland, Maine
     * The Rev. Dr. Richard Brownlee, Synod Executive, Synod of the
Covenant, Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
     * Mr. Marvin Hall, Executive Secretary, Wilmington Yearly Meeting,
Religious Society of Friends
     * The Rev. Gary M. Straughan, President of Eastern District Executive
Board and, Vice-President of Provincial Elders Conference, Northern
Province, Moravian Church in America
     * Bishop Bruce Ough, West Ohio Conference, United Methodist Church
     * The Right Rev. Mark Hollingsworth, Bishop, Episcopal Church, Diocese
of Ohio
     * Rev. Darryl Fairchild, Executive Director, Greater Dayton Christian
Connection
     * Rev. Larry Clark, Executive Director, Toledo Metropolitan Ministries
     * Ms. Jane Gray, Regional Director, Church World Service
     * The Rev. Albert Otto Baumann, II, Program Director, Toledo Council
of Churches
     * Rev. Karen M Shepler, Chair, Toledo Council of Churches
     * Ms. Chloe Ann Krista, Executive Director, Akron Area Association of
Churches
     * The Rev. Bob Erickson, Executive Director, Hunger Network of Ohio
     * Mr. Alvin Hadley, Executive Director, Columbus Metropolitan Area
Church Council
     * Rev Dr. Kurt Keljo, University Pastor, Capital University, Columbus,
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
     * Sr. Leanne M. Jablonski FMI, PhD, Coordinator, Environmental Justice
& Earth Stewardship Task Force, Ohio Council of Churches
     * The Right Rev. Charles E. Bennison, Jr., Bishop, Episcopal Diocese
of Pennsylvania
     * Kathleen Coll, S.S.J., Commission for Justice, Sisters of St.
Joseph, Philadelphia
     * The Rt. Rev. Michael W. Creighton, Bishop, Diocese of Central
Pennsylvania, The Episcopal Church
     * Gary L. Harke, Exec. Director, Pennsylvania Council of Churches
     * The Rev. Joy Kaufmann, General Presbyter, Huntingdon Presbytery
     * Bishop A. Donald Main, Upper Susquehanna Synod, Evangelical Lutheran
Church in America
     * Gary Straughan, President, Eastern District Executive Board, and,
Vice-President, Provincial Elders Conference, Moravian Church in America,
Northern Province
     * Bishop Peter D. Weaver, Eastern Pennsylvania Conference, United
Methodist Church
     * Bishop Elias G. Galvan, Pacific Northwest Annual Conference, United
Methodist Church
     * The Rt. Rev. Sanford Hampton, Assisting Bishop, Episcopal Diocese of
Olympia
     * The Rev. Randal Hyvonen, Conference Minister, Pacific Northwest
Conference, United Church of Christ
     * The Rev. Donna Roberson, Presiding Elder, Pacific Northwest
Conference, African Methodist Episcopal Church
     * The Rev. Dr. Jack Sullivan, Jr., Regional Minister, Northwest
Region, Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
     * The Rev. Thomas Quigley, Acting Executive Minister, Washington
Association of Churches
     * Rev. Dennis Sparks, Executive Director, West Virginia Council of
Churches.
     * Rev. Ralph W. Dunkin, Bishop, West Virginia-Western Maryland Synod,
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
     * His Eminence Metropolitan Maximos, Greek Orthodox Metropolis of
Pittsburgh
     * The Rev. Eugene Ross, Conference Minister, Central Pacific
Conference, United Church of Christ
     * The Rev. Dr. Daniel Byrant, First Christian Church and,
President-elect, Ecumenical Ministries of Oregon
     * David A. Leslie, Executive Director, Ecumenical Ministries of
Oregon, Portland, Oregon
     * The Rev. Mark Knutson, President of the Board, Ecumenical Ministries
of Oregon, Augustana Lutheran Church, Portland
     * The Rev. Kent Harrop, Chair, Environmental Ministries Committee,
Ecumenical Ministries of Oregon
     * The Rev. Wayne Hill, Chair, Oregon Interfaith Global Warming Campaign
     * Bishop John G. Vlazny, Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Portland, Oregon
     * Virginia Robertson, Member of the Board, Ecumenical Ministries of
Oregon
     * The Rev. Karen Blatt, Restoring Creation Enabler, Presbytery of Lake
Huron, Presbyterian Church ( U.S.A.)
     * Bishop Thomas J. Gumbleton, Auxiliary Bishop, Archdiocese of Detroit,
MI
     * Mary Katherine Hamilton, IHM, Vice President, IHM Sisters of Monroe,
Michigan
     * The Rev. John K Hooper, Chair, Environmental Concerns Task Force,
Episcopal Diocese of Detroit
     * Rev. Charles Morris, Director, Michigan Interfaith Power and Light,
Lansing, MI
     * Rev. James Zelinski, OFM Cap, Capuchin-Franciscan Justice, Peace and
Ecology Office, Detroit, MI
     * Bishop Robert A. Rimbo, Southeast Michigan Synod, Evangelical
Lutheran Church in America
     * Sara Streed, Director, Wisconsin Interfaith Climate and Energy
Campaign
     * Rev. Mel Carraway, Sr. Pastor, First United Methodist Church,
Lancaster, TX
     *

       Rev. Hal Nilsson, President, New Mexico Conference of Churches,
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
     *

       Jim Gleason, President Elect, New Mexico Conference of Churches,
Roman Catholic Church
     *

       Rev. Jane Harmes, Pastor, Las Placitas Presbyterian Church (USA),
Placitas, NM, and Vice-President, New Mexico Conference of Churches
     *

       Rev. Sandy Burley, Pastor, First United Methodist Church, Truth or
Consequences, New Mexico, and Secretary, New Mexico Conference of Churches
     *

       Ruth Tribou, Executive Committee Treasurer, New Mexico Conference of
Churches
     *

       Rev. Dr. Barbara Dua, Executive Director, New Mexico Conference of
Churches

-end-

Media Contacts: 202-544-2350 x 11 (ltune@ncccusa.org) and 212-870-2252
(cfouke@ncccusa.org)