From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ALC Noticias - Cuba Costa Rica Colombia Argentina Ecuador

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Mon, 26 Apr 2004 11:36:14 -0700

ALC NEWS SERVICE
E-mail: director@alcnoticias.org

ALC HEADLINES:
CUBA: The Passion of Christ movie sparks Evangelical debate
COSTA RICA: Environmental citizenship project launched
COLOMBIA: Theologian Harold Segura offers proposals for Baptist renewal
ARGENTINA: Ecumenical meeting identifies themes for Catholic-Pentecostal
Dialogue
ECUADOR: Bishop Murray: We cannot deceive the people

CUBA
The Passion of Christ movie sparks Evangelical debate

By Josi Aurelio Paz
HAVANA, April 21, 2004 (alc). The movie the Passion of Christ, by Mel
Gibson, sparked a debate in Cuba among pastors from different denominations
about whether or not the movie faithfully reflects the Biblical history it
seeks to portray.

A group of pastors from eight denominations met last weekend in the city of
Camaguey, in central Cuba, to examine whether the film is anti-Semitic, as
speculated by mass media, and whether is uses hyper-realism in showing the
images of the suffering on the cross.

The movie has not been officially shown in Cuban movie theatres but it has
been viewed in pirated copies that have entered the country and passed from
hand to hand.

Many of these copies are blurry and difficult to understand due to the fact
that they are translated from Aramaic to English and then to Spanish using
superimposed subtitles.

The Rev. Ester Quintero, vice president of the Cuban Council of Churches
told ALC that after watching the film we reached the conclusion that it is
not an attack on Judaism but rather a strong criticism of the reigning
power structures of the time.

Of course, it is upsetting to see the delight which, in some scenes,
manipulates the suffering of Jesus of Golgotha, very much in line with the
violent cinema that is sold in the world today.

"Claro que molesta un poco ese regodeo que, en algunas escenas, manipula el
sufrimiento de Jeszs en el Gslgota, muy a tono con el cine de violencia que
hoy se vende en el mundo".

As a believer and as someone who knows history, one knows we are not going
to confront a complacent argument but I also do not think we are prepared,
as spectators, to see a Biblical theme reflected in such a straightforward
fashion, said Quintero.

She added that we cannot pretend that a movie, a result of the artistic and
personal vision of the movie maker, is reality itself.

Even the Bible, inspired by God, cannot be limited to an interpretation of
the events based on our knowledge of the time.

The group of pastors and leaders who saw the film reached the conclusion
that regardless of the positive and negative opinions that the Passion may
have motivated, according to the very personal Gospel of Gibson, we must
thank the actor and director for the convocation it has permitted.

The movie made it possible to reach Holy Week with a spirit of
confrontation and searching, which has overshadowed the contemplative
nature with which we sometimes commemorate the date, as if it were a story
detained n time and not a challenge, from the cross, for everyone, every
day, she said.

COSTA RICA
Environmental citizenship project launched

By Eduardo Chinchilla
SAN JOSI, April 21, 2004 (alc).  The Costa Rican chapter of the UN Program
for the Environments Global Environmental Citizenship project was
unveiled before more than 100 representatives from civil society.

The meeting was held in the Former Presidents Chamber in the Legislative
Assembly on April 20.

The project seeks to form citizens who, based on knowledge of the local,
national and global environmental reality, exercise their rights and
responsibilities in the construction of a sustainable society.

The themes that will be addressed include formation and concrete actions
such as Biodiversity, climatic change, international waters and the ozone
layer.

The Latin American networks convened to implement the work are: The Latin
American Parliament (PARLATINO), the International Union for Local
Authorities (IULA), the International Consumers network (CI), the Education
and Communication Commission of the International Union for Nature
Conservation (CEC-UICN). At the same time, the World Association For
Community Radio (AMARC), together with the Latin American Association for
Radio Education (ALER) and the Latin American Council of Churches (CLAI).

The work will be developed in Mexico, Cuba, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Peru,
Chile and Argentina.

The national working group, which is the body that will implement the
project in the country, is made up of representatives from different
networks, including Evangelical Churches which attended the event to
reaffirm their backing for the initiative.

Amadeus Da Cosa, of Brazil, and general secretary of PARLATINO emphasized
the importance of the Church. Without the presence of the Churches this
project would be incomplete because the soul has a great deal to do with
the environment, he affirmed.

The municipalities selected for the implementation of the project include:
Osa, Corredores and Golfito in the province of Puntarenas in the central
Pacific, Abangares in the province of Guanacaste in the north and Upala,
Guatuso and the Chiles in the province of Alajuela.  CLAI will seek to work
together with Evangelical Churches to integrate them in the work of all the
other networks. Not only with pastors and leaders from these places will be
trained, but also from the Atlantic zone in the Port of Limon.

COLOMBIA
Theologian Harold Segura offers proposals for Baptist renewal

CALI, April 22, 2004 (alc). In an event leading up to the Latin American
Union of Baptists Assembly (UBLA) that began last night in this city,
Colombian theologian Harold Segura, currently residing in Costa Rica,
presented proposals for what he considers a necessary change within the
denomination in Latin America.

After emphasizing that the sap of non-conformity runs through the roots of
the Baptists, Segura noted that many years have passed and traditions have
grown stale and structures have grown rigid.

We have traveled recent decades slowly, witnessing how our continent bleeds
and is dragged toward misery, he added. We have continued to be embroiled
in discussions, applying artificial respiration to institutions inherited
from missionary boards, repeating the learned theology, practicing how to
be neo-Pentecostals, yearning for foreign subsidies, caring for spectacular
buildings and becoming upset over our financial limits.

Some have made efforts toward renewal, he said. Many have opted for the
charismatic movement and have found growing numbers, financial stability
and have reanimated the spiritual life of their members.

New forms of Episcopal management have also infiltrated, pastoral
authoritarianism - clericalism and doubtful practices of faith. A high
price has been paid.

Others have sought change toward evangelism and planting new works, the
only reason their Churches exist. These go hand in hand with the policies
of some missionary boards that decided to turn their back on service. This
excessive pragmatism once again leaves aside the social, economic and
spiritual realities of our hurting continent, said Segura.

The Baptist faith depends on its ability to respond. It has always been
this way. Today, this is even more so if we taken into account the speed of
the changes taking place in society. We have not received a legacy to
conserve it frozen in history, but a legacy for the transformation of our
world, he said.

Change will not wait. In his opinion it is a ministerial structural change
that leaves aside authoritarian vertical structures and returns to the best
of the congregational legacy. The response to the ineffectiveness of the
democratic system lies in the renewal of the system as opposed to its
substitution, above all when it is substituted for Episcopal systems that
are foreign to our best tradition.

Therefore, there is an urgent need to change the way we conceive of the
mission of the Church. Mission is integral or it is not mission. All of
human life, in its spiritual, psychological, ecological and social
dimensions, is of interest to the Creator, he said.

Together with these changes is a need for a new proposal for the financial
system. There were times when we had the luxury of having dollar budgets
with expenses in the national currency. The new conditions demand
administrative capacity, creative lucidity, the ability for dialogue,
collaboration and fidelity in stewardship, he said.

Moreover, added to the list of renewal is: the role of women in the Church,
the youth mission, the need to place liturgy in its context, the capacity
for inter-confessional dialogue, the theological formation of leadership,
dignifying the pastoral ministry, deepening spirituality and the
transformation of the operative structures of the conventions, associations
and unions.

ARGENTINA
Ecumenical meeting identifies themes for Catholic-Pentecostal Dialogue

BUENOS AIRES, April 23, 2004 (alc). Priests, pastors and lay people from
the Roman Catholic Church (RCC), the Evangelical Argentina Pentecostal
Church (IEPA), Good News  (Pentecostal) and the Methodist Evangelical
Church (IEMA) met together and identified a series of points where they
differ and points for dialogue.

The meeting took place in Bariloche, in Rio Negro, in southwestern
Argentina on April 17 at the initiative of the Latin American Council of
Churches (CLAI) - River Plate Region, the Bariloche Ecumenical Encounter
and the RCC in that city.

The objective was to meet together and examine the potential and obstacles
for dialogue between Evangelical and Catholic traditions.

At the end of the event, participants proposed creating a team that would
program new meetings and could include the Rev. Juan Angel Dieuzede, Hugo
Ferrada (Baptist Church) Pastor Daniel Chavez (IEPA), Pastor Frank de Nully
Brown (IEMA) and pastor of the Lutheran Church.

Moreover, participants also recommended that the Bariloche Ecumenical
Encounter seek to incorporate new Churches in the task, to discover allies
in the Catholic - Pentecostal dialogue, to insist on common prayer, to
address pastoral issues in future dialogues and to hold the next meeting
during the Week of Prayer for Christian Unity.

During the presentations, Pastor Santiago Cortez, vice president of the
IEPA, said that his denomination arrived in Argentine as a mission from
Chile and that his grandfather, IEPA founder, established the first Church
in San Rafael, Mendoza.

The Rev Juan Angel Dieuzede said that in 1780 Jesuits coming from Chiloe
(Chile) reached this part of Argentina. Later the Salesians would carry out
decisive Evangelical work in Patagonia.

Pastor Frank De Nully Brown noted that the Methodist Church reached
Argentina at the beginning of the XIX Century but has been preaching in
Spanish for the past 135 years. In Bariloche, Paul Williams began his
ministry some 50 years ago.

Norberto Saracco said that Pentecostalism in Argentina dates back to 1908
with Louis Francesco and in 1910 Alicia Wood began what would later become
the union of the Assemblies of God.

At an international level, Saracco said that the Catholic-Pentecostal
dialogue has existed since 1972 but it basically takes places between
Christians in the northern hemisphere. Dialogue in Latin America only
exists in small spaces and has not been formal, he said.

According to the Pentecostal leader, Latin America is where this dialogue
should be centered given that it has the largest Catholic population and
the fasting growing Pentecostal sector.

Regarding so-called neo-Pentecostalism, Saracco said that this
denomination does not do justice to Pentecostalism. The phenomenon has
nothing to do with Pentecostalism itself, he said. However, he warned that
significant changes are taken place regarding the religious phenomenon and
Churches should try to understand and discern what is taking place.

In an exercise to identify obstacles for dialogue between Catholics and
Pentecostals, the RCC leaders pointed to the fundamentalist, sometimes
fanatic, reading of the Bible, difficulties with popular religiosity and
its theological deviations, the fact that they are labeled idolaters for
their conception and relationship with the Virgin Mary and the saints and
different interpretations of the Sacred Scriptures.

Evangelicals mentioned Mariology, the RCC understanding of Church unity
(they expect other Churches to return to Rome), the benefits the RCC enjoys
(an issue that is raised in the Religious Equality Law) and the rigidity of
the liturgy and the Catholic position on reproductive health rights and
family planning.

ECUADOR
Bishop Murray: We cannot deceive the people

By Manuel Quintero
QUITO, April 23, 2004 (alc). Barely two weeks before general elections and
when the four president candidates enter the final stretch, the Rev. Julio
Murray, Anglican Bishop of Panama warned about the tendency to overwhelm
the people with proposals that will be difficult to carry out and said
people are aware of the reality and cannot be deceived.

In the face of the nations realities, the situation of unemployment, the
financial crisis, problems with social security, violence and corruption,
we need realistic proposals and not mere electoral promises, said Bishop
Murray who traveled to Quito for a Latin American Council of Churches
(CLAI) finance commission and executive committee meeting.

The Anglican prelate said that after 21 years of militarism and two
democratic elections, the general elections that will take place May 2
should constitute a festival of democracy, in which the voting population
can exercise their rights in a framework of citizen participation. It is
the most important event in the countrys democracy life, he said.

However, each time the people have the opportunity to freely participate to
elect their leaders, there are some who try to ruin the festival with
arguments that want us to regress in history, where the times demand
original and creative proposals that take us to the future.

In order for it to be an authentic democratic festival it is imperative
that we overcome the personal attacks and diatribes between candidates,
essentially all of the politicking that has traditionally characterized
electoral processes in the past, he said.

Three candidates from traditional parties and one independent candidate are
vying for the presidential chair next Sunday.

Businessman Ricardo Martinelli, head of a supermarket chain, a sugar
refinery and other businesses, is the independent candidate and the
farthest behind, according to polls that give him barely 7 percent of the
voter preference.

Jose Miguel Aleman, who was foreign minister during the current Mireya
Moscoco government is the ruling party candidate and has the support of 16
percent of the electorate.

Former President Guillermo Endara, who claims to represent that political
current of Arnulfo Arias, a key figure in Panamanian political life last
century, is in second place with 30 percent of the voter preference.

Finally Martin Torrijos, son of the disappeared military officer and head
of state Omar Torrijos is running on a Partido Revolucionario Democratic
slate and heads the polls with 48 percent support.

In their campaigns, the four have referred to the need to sign a Free Trade
Agreement with the United States, job creation and the need to combat
corruption as priorities for the government. They have also promised to
support small businesses and to shore up the agriculture sector to combat
unemployment and poverty.

According to Bishop Murray, these proposals need to be backed with clear,
concrete plans that do not merely respond to party lines and interests but
rather a national project.

The proposals surrounding trade agreements, the FTAA or a (bilateral) FTA,
have not been sufficiently discussed. It is fundamental that the electorate
really knows what these treaties consist of and what their implications
are. They must also know what alternatives exist so that Panamanian
producers are able to compete in conditions of greater equality in the face
of a giant with state-subsidized markets, he said.

Moreover, he also said it is important to go beyond the strictly national
and short-term solutions. Panama is part of a concert of nations,
beginning with Central America nations and the policies that are applied in
our country will have consequences on our relationships in this regional
context and in a much broader framework, because we live in a globalized
world, he said.

As a Church we want to see viable proposals that help to promote life and
not the signs of death that accompany us on a daily basis. We want these
proposals to lead us to practices that are not excluding and help the
integral development of our people.

The people of Panama want justice, the opportunity to work and earn a
living and to participate and contribute, from our uniqueness, in the life
of other countries in the region. And these steps will lead us to
increasingly consolidate this national project that is Panama, said Bishop
Murray.

Agencia Latinoamericana y Caribeqa de Comunicacisn (ALC)
P.O. Box 14-225 Lima 14 Peru
Tel. (51 1) 462-0189  Telefax (51 1) 463 2496
Cell Phone (51 1) 9724 3959 / E-Mail: director@alcnoticias.org
Visit our web site: http://www.alcnoticias.org
To stop emails, please visit http://www.alcpress.org/StopNews.asp?lanCode=1