From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Director of Mission for the Episcopal Church announced

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Mon, 26 Apr 2004 11:38:18 -0700

Monday, April 26, 2004

Director of Mission for the Episcopal Church announced

ENS042604-1

[ENS] The Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church, the Most Rev. Frank T.
Griswold, announced April 26 the appointment of the Very Rev. James B.
Lemler as Director of Mission, expressing confidence that the right person
had been found for the position.

"I am delighted and pleased that Dean Lemler has accepted this very
important position which is crucial in giving direction to the mission
energies of our Church," Griswold said. "His broad experience in overseeing
and assisting others in articulating program that carries forward Christ's
continuing ministry of reconciliation will serve us all well in the days
ahead."

Lemler, currently serving as Dean and President of Seabury-Western
Theological Seminary and its Seabury Institute, likewise expressed
enthusiasm about the appointment:

"This is indeed an important time for mission awareness and initiative in
the life of the Episcopal Church at virtually every level, and I am pleased
to serve in this capacity. I am thankful for all the communities of faith
which have prepared me for this work, including congregations, dioceses, a
college chaplaincy, an Episcopal school, and Seabury-Western Theological
Seminary. I look forward to the future mission of our Church with great joy."

Having performed significant public ministry and served as a leader for the
Episcopal Church at the diocesan, provincial and national level, Lemler has
helped to shape the mission of the Episcopal Church in chairing roles for
the Standing Commission on the Church in Metropolitan Areas and the
Standing Commission on Domestic Mission and Evangelism. He is widely called
upon as a teacher, writer, conference leader, preacher, and consultant in
areas of congregational development, leadership development, education,
spirituality, and mission. His experience also includes consultation and
leadership in philanthropy and stewardship with various foundations and the
Consortium of Endowed Episcopal Parishes, and in education through the
National Association of Episcopal Schools and the Council of Episcopal
Seminary Deans.

Nationally recognized as a presenter and educator in congregational
development, Lemler helped to launch the 20/20 Vision for domestic mission
and congregational life in the Episcopal Church, a movement which works
towards embracing fully the stated mission of the Church and is a goal that
General Convention adopted in July 2000 to contribute to the growth and
vitality of the Church and its congregations.

Lemler will take up the post in late August leading the program staff at
the Episcopal Church Center in the areas of Anglican and Global Relations,
Congregational Development, Ethnic Congregational Development, Migration
Ministries, Peace and Justice Ministries, Women's Ministries and Ministries
with Young People. He will also serve as a member of the Management Team of
the Domestic and Foreign Missionary Society, the corporate entity of the
Episcopal Church.

The Director of Mission Interviewing Committee included: the Rt. Rev.
Arthur B. Williams, Jr., convener; the Rt. Rev. Carol J. Gallagher;
Katherine Tyler Scott; the Rev. Howard R. Anderson; Patricia C. Mordecai;
the Rev. Canon J. Patrick Mauney; and John Colon, staff.